Notices

Skipping the annual work party

Old 06-27-2014, 12:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Skipping the annual work party

One of the departments I'm affiliated with at work is having their annual crazy footloose summer party today. They organize big fancy parties twice a year: before Christmas and this time of the year (called summer party). It's always a gigantic drinking fest... tons of good food as well, but the focus tends to be on let the alcohol flow.

I went each year since I have worked at this institution, and they were fun I guess because I also got very drunk and silly.

I've been hesitating all week what to do about it now (not contemplating drinking, just weather I should show up and leave early), especially since I just got a job promotion and people know...

Well, finally decided to skip it. Social drinking situations around me are not my biggest triggers since I had been a lone drinker in the last few years of my time, but still... my 5-month-old sobriety and all the great changes coming with it are absolutely not worth a risk.

I guess people will ask me why I did not go on Monday (or maybe even send me texts from the party) - will just say that I already made plans for this day long ago. Which is not a lie: planned to stay sober!

Have a great sober weekend, friends
Old 06-27-2014, 01:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Fantastic decision haennie!! . . . we've got your back!!

Work nights out have become the one thing I have tried to avoid since becoming Sober, the whole work politics thing, the people going mad on a night out, it can be a minefield!! . . . Great job!!
Old 06-27-2014, 01:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Great decision, haennie. I'm sure you won't regret it!
Old 06-27-2014, 01:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

5 months is awesome! Great decision to protect that and have a great and sober weekend!!!
Old 06-27-2014, 01:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great decision Congrats on 5 months and have a lovely weekend
Old 06-27-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

Good for you Haennie...

Like you said, so many good changes have come to you since you've been sober, why risk it.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I applaud your decision! Don't let your AV (or whatever we're calling it these days) tell you that you're a stick-in-the-mud! Us former partiers tend to mentally throw ourselves into the "nerd corner" when we skip these things. So untrue! You're a mature, responsible adult who has better things to do - like enjoy a peaceful evening, a nice dinner and a bright morning sunrise. Way to go!
Old 06-27-2014, 02:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

You are making a very wise decision.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Probably a wise choice. Fwiw I landed a job at about 18 months sober working with a sales team. I had heard stories of boozy sales conferences and part of my job was to attend these, so I was a little worried about that.

At The first conference it became clear I had nothing to worry about for two reasons. I had had my spiritual experience as the result of the steps and the drink problem was gone.

Secondly, these guys did not drink anything like me. Possibly they drank like I used to wish I could drink, not out of control. Not a single one of them came anywhere near my standard of insanely drunk.. The night remained social and fun. None of the sick alcoholic behaviour that was the hallmark of my drinking.

I went to lots of those conferences and they never were a problem. I might have handled it earlier, but in my first year, though the obsession had been lifted my mental and emotional state was not too good. God had found me quieter employment for that time.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have something similar. Got to decline a wedding invite that's happening in a few months, I just know I'm not strong enough.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
will just say that I already made plans for this day long ago. Which is not a lie: planned to stay sober!
You are indeed a wily one. Love it. Words cannot express my love for that thought. I might even get addicted to it.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks a lot, everyone! I posted this only because I was so happy with my decision. I knew it was the right decision even days, weeks, maybe months before I made it... if that makes sense.

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
God had found me quieter employment for that time.
Yeah I can imagine that. If we want to have a meaningful, fulfilling profession, I think it's important that we find a solution that is compatible with not only our interests, but also our values, choices, etc. I'm glad you've found your calling.

For me, this current job of mine is actually pretty quiet in the everyday. It's research... you mostly stay in a corner doing experiments and analyzing data... these days the experiments are usually done by others and I mainly analyze, discuss, write up, do more searching and speculating, interactions... Can do a lot of it from home also. Lots of responsibilities that require a sharp mind and sane judgment. I also need to train people. This is also a job where I can indulge in my seemingly endless curiosity about the world, about people, about how all this works, and about the mysteries of what troubled me most in life (addiction, etc)...

Often many of us talk about intense relationships on these boards. For me so far, in the professional front of things, this current job of mine has been by far The Love of My Life, if we allow a metaphor. If that makes sense. I think I wrote about this here and there on SR, maybe just not this passionately. But it is true. This job was also a very important factor and inspiration when I quit drinking in January this year. I know many of us would say this is BS... yet, somehow, it worked for me. I just could not lose this one.

Sorry guys I guess I'm getting a little too emotional and banal here... but I am emotional about it for a reason, and I don't want to not feel this way now.

Thanks again
Old 06-27-2014, 02:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ANewDay2014 View Post
I have something similar. Got to decline a wedding invite that's happening in a few months, I just know I'm not strong enough.
Good job. You are strong enough to pursue a great future
Old 06-27-2014, 03:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Haennie! This is great to read. I admire your self awareness and have since arriving here on SR. Something I strive for so, for example, I do not go to events such as baby showers only to be slapped with a ridiculous amount of wheel spinning regarding an event which could be taken or left.

May we all take a play from your book when faced with similar decisions

Happy Friday!

Old 06-27-2014, 03:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

After you have experienced a hundred people or so in a similar situation that ended up drinking it will become an even better decision
Old 06-27-2014, 03:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
After you have experienced a hundred people or so in a similar situation that ended up drinking it will become an even better decision
Yes. And an even better approach to know what we need to do. Hopefully.

I respect you, MIRecovery, very highly.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I get on my high horse to often. I did exactly what you didn't. I didn't drink but it was the stupidest thing I did in my recovery. I ended up in a major panic attack that took me two days to get over
Old 06-27-2014, 04:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on five months sober. I think you were smart to skip the party.