Al Anon = Bakery?

Old 06-26-2014, 02:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Al Anon = Bakery?

In reference to going to the hardware store to buy bread, I need some bread and I don't know where a bakery is. I'm guessing Al anon is my best bet and although I saw my counselor yesterday my session was cut in half because baby DD had a major allergic reaction in Childcare so I had to leave and rush to get her.

I have a lot on my plate and while EVERYONE complains that their husbands don't help enough, mine is a completely different level. And I feel sad for my toddler because she tells me everyday that she misses her dad. I know the feeling is probably gone for her soon after she says it but the sadness I have for her lingers. I think this is what real Codependency looks like. Ugh. I need bread.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

what the hell huh? why not give it a try? i don't believe they kill you and eat you at the FIRST meeting, i think they wait a few weeks! LOL
sorry about the counseling session getting cut short....and by yet another life THING. argh.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah, I'm ready to drink the koolaide and try Al anon. I'm kind of scraping by emotionally and I don't know any other IRL people who actually know anything about alcoholism or codependency so I'm feeling a little isolated.

As long as they don't haze the newcomers I guess it won't be too awful.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It can't hurt to try, Stung. I'm sorry you are having such a rough time right now. ((((hugs))))
Old 06-26-2014, 02:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

LOL Stung, I think you will make it through the hazing! It's not some huge commitment, try it, if you like it great, if not, don't go back or try a meeting somewhere else. I think people overthink it a lot, I know I certainly did when going to Celebrate Recovery.

Tight Hugs. Hope your little is OK? Allergic reactions can be super scary.

XXX
Old 06-26-2014, 03:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If Alanon isn't the bakery, it's at least a decent supermarket w/a good selection of white, wheat and rye, buns and muffins and pita...

Like they say, take what you want and leave the rest!

Hoping you give it a whirl, Stung. Take it from a bakery delivery driver, you'll probably find something to fill that empty spot there.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Using your analogy, I think of al anon as giving you directions on how to find the bakery and guide you on how to make a fresh selection.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm on SR for me, but two weeks ago I went to my first Al Anon meeting because of long term and severe issues of a relative who the family has run out of ideas on how to handle. People could not have been more welcoming and I was quite comfortable. I even spoke. For the record, I've never been to AA so beyond knowing there are similarities I can't speak about how they differ. Based on my singular experience, if you think it would be beneficial I'd strongly encourage you to go. There's really no downside.

Yeah, I know it's odd writing that I'm on SR for me and go to Al Anon because of a relative. Life is like that sometimes.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Stung I was resistant to alanon too, but finally went and I'm so glad I did.

Like you, I had no one to talk to about AH's drinking and my codie tendencies. I just really needed to be with people who really get it, people who wouldn't pass judgment or tell me what I should do.

I found it there and oh how it helps. I've found no pressure to do steps, find a sponsor, or even share. And sometimes I just listen.

I went to four different groups before I found people.I really clicked with. I love the diversity of people in my group, they're a great bunch.

And ya know, no one made me drink KoolAid.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

A good load of carbs always helps me sleep. I'd sure try the bakery if I were you.

It's just another tool that might work, and God knows we can all use as many tools as we can find. If not, set it aside but know it's there. Sometimes different tools are more relevant at different times.

Hope your baby is okay!

Sending you peace and hugs tonight.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Personally I prefer therapy. But I really do like my home group and my sponsor is great. The 12 steps are a good ladder for self reflection.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I really like my counselor and being able to talk things out with her but I need something extra too. Florence often refers to building Team Florence and while I have a good team of friends I don't have any friends that understand this stuff and it's really the only stuff I'm struggling with.

I almost need a single parents support group more than I need an alanon type group. It's when parenting stuff comes up that I feel really out of it because I feel like I NEED someone to share this load with when stressful stuff happens, like allergic reactions. I don't know any other single parents, and the remarried women I know weren't single very long before they were remarried. Plus, I'm not technically single but effectively I am. I just need IRL ppl to relate to. I don't need AH but I feel like I need a coparent and I need some ppl in my life that get it so I can reach out to them instead of AH when I feel in need. Whatever type of bread that is, that's what I want to find.

All I know is that my current scenario isn't working so I'm gonna change it up a bit and see what happens.

And baby DD is fine, just a stressful and scary scenario. They were getting ready to give her an Epi before I arrived. Thankfully I got there in time because it wasn't necessary.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I just wanted to add that I had procrastinated going for a long time and I just started last week. It was a huge relief.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I read an article today about a group in VT that trades services. Each member has some skill set (physical therapy, babysitting, handy-man stuff) that they trade with others in the group. You live in a progressive area, I bet there are all kinds of groups there with women/men in similar circumstances that could use "help." Are there mother-child exercise groups in your area? Not the gymboree thing, but actual small private groups with trainers? I see them in the park all the time. The moms have their strollers and toddlers snacking while they exercise with the guidance of a trainer. Afterwards they sit around a chat. You have the luxury of time (even though you have the kiddos with you), why not take advantage of that and join a mother's kind of group activity. Even if it is lame or not you cup of tea, you might meet people. I used to volunteer a good bit and met women that way. Junior Leagues have tons of moms in them.

It really sounds like you need networking with other moms you can lean on. Yoga classes tend to have nice people in them. Mother's yoga?
Old 06-26-2014, 08:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Location: My mind wanders a lot, but I try to stay in the present.
( Shhhhhhh. Nobody tell her about the hazing!!!!)
Old 06-26-2014, 08:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have some really good normie and mommy friends but I don't want to share the alcoholism stuff with them because I don't want it to follow my daughters around, his burden is NOT theirs. I complain to them about AH being a lackluster husband and dad and they don't get it, they sympathize and share how their husbands screw up too. Partly because they don't know exactly what is going on but also because even if they did know they still wouldn't understand. Alcoholism and codependency are tough to comprehend if you haven't experienced it first hand.

That's why I'm feeling isolated. I need a different set of ppl that do get it. I've done stroller strides in the past when I was prego with baby DD. We're active in play groups and our health club and have a good support system but they don't really understand what's going on.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

al anon is your best bet, then.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:49 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stung View Post
I almost need a single parents support group more than I need an alanon type group. It's when parenting stuff comes up that I feel really out of it because I feel like I NEED someone to share this load with when stressful stuff happens, like allergic reactions. I don't know any other single parents, and the remarried women I know weren't single very long before they were remarried. Plus, I'm not technically single but effectively I am. I just need IRL ppl to relate to. I don't need AH but I feel like I need a coparent and I need some ppl in my life that get it so I can reach out to them instead of AH when I feel in need. Whatever type of bread that is, that's what I want to find.
Stung have you heard of Meet Up groups? They have them for just about every interest under the sun. In my area there is one for single and separated parents. (Perfect?) www.meetup.com
Old 06-27-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

A Bakery? A Bakery?

It is a MEAT MARKET! A Meat Market, I tells you, Stung.

To me, it is like unto a Veggie Buffet, floating on a sea of Plum Perfume.

[ahem]

Would you just knock this crap off and GO?

Really, the ONLY folks I see that Alanon does NOT help . . . are the folks who do not go.

How's THAT working for you?

Old 06-27-2014, 09:32 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I am not a big 'joiner' of things. I went to Al Anon and took away what resonated with me. One hour a week where I felt like I was with with a bunch of people who "get" the madness of living with alcoholism. That in itself was worth going for, knowing I was not alone in my experience. The tools learned have been very helpful.