is suboxone a good or bad idea?

Old 06-26-2014, 05:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

is suboxone a good or bad idea?

A counselor my son talked to at a detox clinic (which has a 2 week waiting list)
said that suboxone would be a good option since he has the back and neck problem.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Originally Posted by pommie View Post
A counselor my son talked to at a detox clinic (which has a 2 week waiting list)
said that suboxone would be a good option since he has the back and neck problem.
Honestly, I don't know. The hospital where my AXGF went for treatment did not prescribe it after patients admitted for opiate addiction were discharge. And that's because the potential for abuse is still present.

This is one of those topics you'll need to do some homework on.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It is an awesome tool, or can be. But that will be very dependent on him in terms of if he is ready to be done.

This is something that only he can decide. He is a grow man and able to figure out what can or will help him and do the work associated. If this is a route he wishes to take then he should initiate it and pay for it. This way he is putting the time in and he will ultimately be responsible for the outcome.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pommie View Post
Try reading over on the substance abuse or suboxone forums Pommie. If you have specific questions I think they would be happy to answer those for you.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I can only give you MY opinion. I think it is a very dangerous option. My husband went on it after trying to take himself off H. He did not go to a clinic, he found a doctor that would write him a script every month for cash. (That makes me so angry!!!) So, he was not supervised and he abused it just like pills and H. He also couldn't get in to outpatient facilities here without being off of suboxone.

I was unaware of my husband's drug use and only found out when he got arrested for DUI. Once everything was out in the open, and he told me the timeline...the time he was using suboxone was when he was the most irritable and angry.

I also know a nurse who worked in a rehab and she also said it was awful and hard to detox from.

Just my opinion, every one is different. If your son can handle it, it may work differently for him. Good luck!!!
Old 06-26-2014, 12:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

He is going to a Recovery Clinic tomorrow. He has an appointment and will see if methodone is the answer for him. He cannot afford the suboxone. The cost will be $75 per week and includes counseling sessions and group therapy. This way he will be able to keep his job. He says he uses not to get high but more to get rid of his physical pain. Hopefully this will help his situation.

Thanks all for your input.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have mixed feelings about suboxone. My ex was on it for a while, think he still is. For a while it helped him stabilize, then it was just another thing.

I think it is a tool that can be used for good or bad. If one is determined to get clean, it can be a real crutch in helping out with the physical withdrawal. At the same time, you can abuse it - and it's not great combined with other drugs, if they use them.

It helps with the physical. If they're not ready to do the emotional heavylifting that coems with recovery, though, it's probably just another addictive substance added to the mix. That's my two cents, from what I've seen.