In laws

Old 06-25-2014, 02:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

In laws

How many of you have in laws that look great to everyone but you?

Mine does a lot of things just to look good. (And in the past has helped me out at AH's request) I do appreciate all that they have done, but I feel like a unwanted guest around them. For example they bought everyone pro t-shirts but me. My mil brings out snacks if I say I like something she won't bring it back over. I have to be very careful of what I say because my mil and sil will twist a slip of the tongue into something that is not.

I am also very suspicious of their intentions because I never know any plans until the last minuet.

I know AH should of taken care of this long ago but he's not an A for nothing.
The reason I am asking is the last couple of nights AH has stopped at his moms and no one knows why he is stopping. I would not be surprised if she was giving him money for a lawyer.

How has others handled their suspicious feelings even if there are reasons.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Pia

Originally Posted by cricket123 View Post
How many of you have in laws that look great to everyone but you?

Mine does a lot of things just to look good. (And in the past has helped me out at AH's request) I do appreciate all that they have done, but I feel like a unwanted guest around them. For example they bought everyone pro t-shirts but me. My mil brings out snacks if I say I like something she won't bring it back over. I have to be very careful of what I say because my mil and sil will twist a slip of the tongue into something that is not.

I am also very suspicious of their intentions because I never know any plans until the last minuet.

I know AH should of taken care of this long ago but he's not an A for nothing.
The reason I am asking is the last couple of nights AH has stopped at his moms and no one knows why he is stopping. I would not be surprised if she was giving him money for a lawyer.

How has others handled their suspicious feelings even if there are reasons.
This has been the story of my life.

My XAH family hates me and even told him well that is what happens when you marry someone who doesn't do drugs or isn't an alcoholic

His whole family both sides love each other "to death" but when I come around I was like the plague.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you are splitting up they are going to take his side.

It is the nature of breakups.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I would expect them to take his side. I'm just suspicious of what's going on. I would be really surprised if they even realize the extent of his problem.

My question was how do you handle being suspicious without causing yourself serious anxiety.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm sorry. That just sucks.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

how do you handle being suspicious without causing yourself serious anxiety.
The same way you handle everything else:
Be aware of what you have control over; let everything else go.
(Only problem is it's so easy to say and so hard to do...)
Old 06-25-2014, 04:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Suspicion is fear and paranoia.

Fear is best fought with Faith.

When I am afraid I say the Serenity Prayer and turn over my fear to my Higher Power. Meditation and prayer are what save me, along with a healthy diet and exercise and getting enough sleep and staying away from too much caffeine and sugar.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I would sAy listen to your gut. Something isn't right and need, expectations, and relationships are not aligning and are being forced making it uncomfortable for all. Sorry for your predicament
Old 06-25-2014, 07:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am sorry for what you are struggling with, I know how awful it feels to be on the outside. Yes they will take his side, it's the natural course.

I had problems with the in-laws and like Radiant, they felt he made a huge mistake marrying someone that wasn't a "regular" drinker and did not do drugs. They didn't feel that way at first, but when my A escalated of course it was all my fault. And now they are all sure (including him) that I was the cause of his drinking and pill addiction.

And while I was around them I had to be very careful about anything I said because it was twisted and turned on me by all of them. I was made out to be the crazy one.

Every time he relapsed he would go to "Mommy's" house on a regular basis and the last time I absolutely suspected what they were up to. So I did stick with my gut, kept my mouth quiet and listened. I overheard of few conversations that gave me advance warning of what was about to happen.

He and they had a plan but because I followed my intuition I got the jump on him and them and though it didn't end up as well as I wanted, I came out better than I would have had I disregarded what was clearly going on.

I am not saying that is what is happening with you, but just watch and listen carefully, you may have the opportunity to see it coming and defend yourself before they can act.