Codie recovery the next chapter

Old 06-25-2014, 11:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Codie recovery the next chapter

I just attended an hourlong seminar on workplace bullying.
It was very helpful, very useful, and will be a good thing to have in my back pocket for the future.

HOWEVER.

What it drove home to me was this:

With all the skills in the world, I am unable to change an organization that has a cultural norm that allows gossip, backstabbing, and sarcasm instead of straightforward communication. I would be launching a quixotic fight against windmills trying to confront bullying when I find myself in an organization where the boss is afraid of bullies and allows them free reign, and takes her frustration out on the employees who are either low on the totem pole or unlikely to retaliate because of their personalities or situation.

It's really similar to being in a dysfunctional relationship, and it's just as important to not "go native" and start adopting unhealthy and dysfunctional coping mechanisms. And just as important to really thoroughly consider if the pros outweigh the cons, or if it's time to seriously start looking to leave.

Al-Anon 101 really. I'm only responsible for myself. If other people choose to behave in a way I find unacceptable, my best line of defense is to remove myself from the situation.