Notices

Wanting to stop binge drinking

Old 06-25-2014, 10:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wanting to stop binge drinking

Hi, I've just joined this forum. I've been drinking for over 15 years. I've had some desire to stop for a few years, but haven't followed through for long. I've stopped for a few weeks maybe 4 times.

Currently my drinking pattern is once a week. I feel like I can ignore the urges to drink sometimes and sometimes I can't or don't.

In the last few months I have been paying attention to my drinking patterns and my drinking urges and decisions to drink or ignore them. My pattern has always been, that I get the urge to drink in the evening every 3 or 4 days. I decide to drink because on some evening after I have finished my day, I feel very anxious due to the build up of stresses throughout the day. I want to drink because that is an instant stress reliever.

I find that I have programmed my drinking schedule. Like I think that it will be ok if I drink once a week or if I just drink once every 5 days. That way I can be productive most of the days. I really don't want to drink at all, but that has been my easier compromise. So, now it's once a week. I can go a 2-3 days with no urges. Then I get an urge mid week and tell myself I can not drink, because I don't want to progress to drinking every 3 days or I think about what I have to do the next day. I can not function with a hangover. Then an hour or 2 passes and I feel better.

I want to stop drinking all together. I don't like giving up half my weekend to a hangover. And I don't want to feel anxious the day after I drink. And I worry about health problems that may come up due to unhealthy drinking.

I need a strategy to help me decide not to drink, when it come to my normal drinking day. I have thought of giving myself a reward. Like I plan something fun for my hangover day as an incentive. And also, I need some way to cope with the anxiety on my normal drinking evening. That is the hardest part. Maybe allow myself to eat whatever I want. Any suggestions? I know the anxiety will pass, but it's been a very long term habit for me to give in.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum NoName4Me!!

You'll find loads of support here, for me dealing with the stress of life without alcohol was a challenge, I found getting out for long walks after work helps, plenty of fresh air and exercise clears my mind, also I started drinking a lot of green/herbal teas in the evening times, and finally making sure I get enough sleep at night seems to make all the difference.

It can be done, everyone will have different things that work for them!!
Old 06-25-2014, 10:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Binge drinking ruined my life man, I found that when I tried to cut it back to 1 or 2 nights a week, it always ballooned back towards 3-4 nights a week and then was progressing towards every day. I relate to your story though in that after a binge I would hate booze for 2-3 days then start craving it again.

It's good that you are getting out front of it now before it gets worse and causes you significant trouble. You need a plan in place to break the pattern, joining this site is a good place to start. Post when you get urges or just read the board, it can be a lot of help.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i also classify myself as a binge drinker. terrible hangovers. lost days. when it really got a hold of me was when i started medicating the hangovers.

i really wish i would have dealt with it sooner... but, dwelling is not productive.

i guarantee that cessation will benefit you.

im four months out (to the day, today) and have a hard time imagining putting up with all that crap again.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

you've found a good place to help you get started!

Welcome!
Old 06-25-2014, 02:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by purpleknight View Post
Welcome to the Forum NoName4Me!!

You'll find loads of support here, for me dealing with the stress of life without alcohol was a challenge, I found getting out for long walks after work helps, plenty of fresh air and exercise clears my mind, also I started drinking a lot of green/herbal teas in the evening times, and finally making sure I get enough sleep at night seems to make all the difference.

It can be done, everyone will have different things that work for them!!
Thanks Purpleknight, Walking does help de-stress in general. I walk maybe 3-4 times a week. Sleep is important too. I usually get enough.

Friday is my drinking day. Even when I walk a few times a week and get sleep, I still get a huge stress spike, around once a week. It could be weekly cycle of recovering from a binge then getting busier and busier through the week and then knowing I can give up a weekend day to a hangover, I just give in and binge on Friday night.

I have to have a plan for Friday. I'm going to take a couple 30 min - hour long brakes during the day, make sure I eat plenty, don't work late and set aside relaxation time for the evening. Then I'll make Saturday a fun day.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

So tonight is the night I'd be drinking normally. Planning ahead helped. I quit working at 5:30 and ate an entire 10 inch combo pizza. Now I'm stuffed and I don't feel too stressed. I'm going to relax for a while,then go for a walk. Tomorrow I'll take the day off, clean for a couple hours, then the rest of the day will be free.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberHoopsFan View Post
Binge drinking ruined my life man, I found that when I tried to cut it back to 1 or 2 nights a week, it always ballooned back towards 3-4 nights a week and then was progressing towards every day. I relate to your story though in that after a binge I would hate booze for 2-3 days then start craving it again.

It's good that you are getting out front of it now before it gets worse and causes you significant trouble. You need a plan in place to break the pattern, joining this site is a good place to start. Post when you get urges or just read the board, it can be a lot of help.
Hi SoberHoopsFan, You are right. A plan to break the pattern is a good idea. I can't just hope that next time things will be easier without doing anything different.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by leviathan View Post
i also classify myself as a binge drinker. terrible hangovers. lost days. when it really got a hold of me was when i started medicating the hangovers.

i really wish i would have dealt with it sooner... but, dwelling is not productive.

i guarantee that cessation will benefit you.

im four months out (to the day, today) and have a hard time imagining putting up with all that crap again.
Congratulations on 4 months. I agree that dwelling on the past or regrets is not productive. All you can do is make sure you're on the right path. How did you get out of the binge cycle?