Notices

Lost and Confused

Old 06-24-2014, 03:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lost and Confused

Hello all,

i apologise but my keyboard is a bit dodgy so i can't capitalize many letters or do exclamations marks.

Anyway i am a 22 year old male. i am currently at uni although that is going badly as per usual. in truth i will be thrown out of uni very soon - not after sympathy just saying how things are.

i have had problems with alcohol ever since i first tried it but i'm well confused.

1 - i hate spirits
2- if it get very drunk then i hate to drink the next day
3- i can go several days without alcohol
4 - i never get like paralytic drunk

so by that you would say i don't have an alcohol problem but:

1 - i think everyday about alcohol
2 - i frequently drink alone - i have this evening had 10 cans of stella
3 - pretty much all the money i have i think that i should be buying beer.

i hate the cycle i've gotten into.

i'm no gazza but i think i might have a problem.

My username is because i love bridge the card game lol i am also a big palace fan

edit: i don't even really want to stop drinking. maybe i'm just scared i dunno. but i would miss it so much and i enjoy it.

would love any advice/comments

thanks for any help
Old 06-24-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey 7NTxx!! Welcome to the Forum!!

I enjoyed drinking too, it was fantastic when I first discovered it, but after a while like you I started to worry about the effects it was having on my life, so much so that I now don't drink alcohol, I tried to cut back my drinking but with no success, 1 drink would lead to a binge and so the only answer was to go Sober.

You have to weigh up what is more important, the enjoyment of alcohol or stalling the potential damage that it is doing to your life, if things are starting to worry you about your drinking then it's probably a good time to have a serious think about things.

All I would say is don't continue down a path and look back in 10yrs time and think I wish I had of done something about my drinking at 22.

It took some real courage to come here and post, SR is a fantastic place for support and advice, it's great to have you onboard!!
Old 06-24-2014, 03:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

you are very kind purpleknight.

i just feel like i'm heading down a bad path and one side of my brain is like ******* hell stop and the other half is like it's only beer what harm can it do. and then when i do try stop 1 or 2 days is fine. heck even a week i could probably do. but longer than that i'd struggle.

and you know the ironic thing: the only reason i joined here is cos i've been drinking. feel terrible to say that but it's true.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well, if anything, you owe yourself a dry month. They're quite popular and people who aren't quite hooked per se have a wonderful experience by the end of it. They say it takes 21 days to make a habit, so it sounds like you may have the habit aspect more than the worst bits of alcoholism.

Ten Stellas is quite a bit, though! I don't think I could see a computer screen or a keyboard after ten Stellas! I'd start typing on the TV! j/k

Cheers, and welcome!
Old 06-24-2014, 03:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 7NTxx View Post
and you know the ironic thing: the only reason i joined here is cos i've been drinking. feel terrible to say that but it's true.
Don't worry about it, I think everyone reaches out for support and advice in different ways, we all get to the point that we just need to ask a few questions of ourselves and need to look for a place to voice or ponder those questions.

When I first joined SR I wasn't really signed up to Sobriety forever in my mind, I proceeded to spend the following year trying to moderate my drinking, that didn't go so well, and I logged in many times to read posts when I was both drinking or hungover, finally I made the decision to abstain from alcohol on one severely hungover Saturday morning in November.

It all got me to where I am today, and I haven't looked back!!
Old 06-24-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome 7NTxx

A lot of people join here drinking, looking for help to stop. Noones going to look down on you

I loved drinking too - I lost relationships friendships and jobs over my love of drinking.
Even when I grew to hate drinking, I couldn't stop.

The earlier start to think about your relationship with alcohol, the better for you I think.

I'm glad you found us

D
Old 06-24-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeap, I loved drinking for a while, but then all that begin to change. No-one but you can tell you if you're an alcoholic or not. The Big Book of AA says one test is to go to a pub/bar and have one drink and stop abruptly...if you can do this on a regular basis then maybe you don't have a problem. Me, there's no way I'm having one of anything!

If your drinking is causing you anxiety, negative consequences then you may wan't to try and stop for a bit...if you can, good on you. If you can't then you may want to get a plan of action to stop...my experience is it only got worse.

Good luck and welcome!
Old 06-24-2014, 03:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i think i could easily have just one in some situations i.e. a family meal. but could i just buy one and have only one on my own and with money and no restrictions etc etc.. flipping doubt it
Old 06-24-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi and welcome 7NTxx

A lot of people join here drinking, looking for help to stop. Noones going to look down on you

I loved drinking too - I lost relationships friendships and jobs over my love of drinking.
Even when I grew to hate drinking, I couldn't stop.

The earlier start to think about your relationship with alcohol, the better for you I think.

I'm glad you found us

D
thanks love that lennon quote btw
Old 06-24-2014, 05:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome,

I think if you look around here a bit, you will see people who have something in common. It's not how often they drank, or how much, but it's how alcohol affected them when they drank. Like you, I obsessed about alcohol. Drinking was always on my mind. It was really such a relief to stop drinking.