we really need help

Old 07-11-2004, 10:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

we really need help

I'm not really sure how to do this. My husband and I are very frustrated! Our 18 year old daughter got out of drug and alcohol rehab about 6 months ago. In June she celebrated 1 year clean and sober. Recently she has stoped going to AA meetings, her counceling, and hanging with clean and sober friends. She is slipping into past behaviors. Hanging with user friends and not letting us meet new friends. She claims she is still clean and sober but last night when I picked her up she sure smelled of alcohol to me. She denied drinking but lately she has been lying alot. How much should I encourage her to go back to meetings and would it benefit us to go to open meetings together occasionally? This is all so new to us. If she is still celan and sober I don't want to talk this issue to death and push her over the edge! Any and all help would be appreciated.
Old 07-11-2004, 11:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Are you going to Al-Anon? It really helps to be around others that are effected by alcoholism in their personal relationships. If she lives at home, are there any conditions for her living there? If she smelt like alcohol then you are probably correct. I would get meeting information and suggest going to meetings together. She could attend AA and you Al-Anon.

You are right to not want to talk it to death but don't let her believe you are in denial.

Good Luck & God Bless!!!
Old 07-11-2004, 12:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

First of all, I'd recommend that you attend Alanon. At the very least, I would read as much as the literature as you can.
I'm wondering, if your daughter lives at home, do you have set rules that she must abide by while living with you?
Do you have any personal boundaries that she is not to cross?
Are there any consequences for any actions that she may do that affect you?
As with every situation, you are in for a rough road. But there are ways to make it easier. Alanon, consequences to actions, and personal boundaries are some to start with.
It's hard to have someone you love that uses and has broken that trust before. Sending you lots of positve vibes!