Notices

Hello

Old 06-24-2014, 09:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

Hi all my name is tizzkins and i am new to the group. I have tried to give up drink twice before but only lasted 7 weeks each time. I am currently only on day two of giving up this time round and would really love some support.

If i am honest and i am very ashamed of this i was drinking up to a bottle of vodka a day. I have quit cold turkey but how do i keep moving forward i still am tempted to nip to the supermarket to pick up a bottle of vodka. Can anyone please help me many thanks.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Originally Posted by tizzkins View Post
Hi all my name is tizzkins and i am new to the group. I have tried to give up drink twice before but only lasted 7 weeks each time. I am currently only on day two of giving up this time round and would really love some support.

If i am honest and i am very ashamed of this i was drinking up to a bottle of vodka a day. I have quit cold turkey but how do i keep moving forward i still am tempted to nip to the supermarket to pick up a bottle of vodka. Can anyone please help me many thanks.
Hi, and welcome! It's about much more than just quitting, as I'm sure you well know. Coming here and talking about it with others and reading their posts will help, but I'm becoming a firm believer that you need a support system to help you keep your resolve. Whether that is AA, RR, CBT, therapy, or whatever you choose, reach out for a helping hand. If you're anything like me and you have been able to mostly keep your drinking secretive, it's much easier to slip back into old habits.

Did you go through withdrawal when you quit cold turkey?
Old 06-24-2014, 09:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No i dont think i suffered from withdrawal before maybe just some headaches and cravings for alcohol i just want to know how long to i have to go before i feel less reliant on alcohol.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope the support here can help you stop drinking for good.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Originally Posted by tizzkins View Post
No i dont think i suffered from withdrawal before maybe just some headaches and cravings for alcohol i just want to know how long to i have to go before i feel less reliant on alcohol.
Well, if you are truly addicted, I'm afraid the compulsion will always be lurking somewhere nearby, but the support system is designed to help build up your defenses against it. The longest I have ever gone sober was 2 years and during that time, I really reached a point where I rarely ever even thought about drinking. But then one day, after switching jobs, I figured I had it under control enough to try moderating again. Bad idea. Really, really bad idea. What I'm saying is you'll always have to be on alert, but as time goes by you will likely think about it less. I'm on day 13 so it's still fairly early for me, too. Taking Antabuse just to make sure I don't do something stupid.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

wow i was in your shoes. i used to drink about a bottle of vodka a day also. i tried to quit several times only lasted about 3 or 4 days. i also stopped cold turkey. i have been sober for 19 months now.
how did i stopped and stayed sober completely. for me,, i had to avoid things i did when i drank and people who i drank with. i developed new activities and hobbies.i had to develop a structured life such as eating good meals every day, and establishing a good sleep cycle.
i also came here every day to read the forums and post on here. this was a good source of help. at times i had to come here 6 to 8 times a day. at times in the beginning i i made the goal of being sober just for that day, even for that hour.
there is a chat room here that has good people there and who helped me out alot.

stay sober, you can do it!
Old 06-24-2014, 10:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum tizzkins!!

Don't be ashamed or worried about the past, after a while you'll realise everyone here on SR has their stories, the reasons why we also needed to make a change were alcohol was concerned, your in good company!!

I started to make real progress when I finally accepted that alcohol wasn't going to be a part of my life anymore, the nipping to the supermarket was something I did too, but it was because I keep the door open to alcohol, I thought I'll try to drink moderately, some day I'll have a drink, this isn't forever, I would eventually have that drink and end up back at the start.

I needed to embrace a Sober lifestyle, not my same lifestyle minus alcohol, the later keeps the temptation alive and well.

You'll find loads of support here on SR, great to have you onboard!!
Old 06-24-2014, 10:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Quitting cold turkey might be dangerous, I'd see your gp if I were you even if the withdrawal hasn't been too bad so far.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

tizzkins great job lets stay in touch thanks
Old 06-24-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, tizzy! I only have 24 days myself, so I completely understand what you are going through.
SR has helped me immensely. Quite a bit of knowledge and support here. Spend some time reading through the posts......did that quite a bit first two weeks.

Speaking for myself the most important thing to keeping me sober is honesty and accountability. Also, you need to have a plan. Sit down, write it out, tell someone about it.

Congrats on quitting and we are cheering for you.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to meet you tizz.

I drank huge amounts of vodka too & now I have over 6 yrs. sober. You can do this. We're very glad to have you here - you're never alone.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks all

Hi everyone i just wanted to say a really big thank you to everyone who has replied and welcomed me i look forward to exchanging more messages with you all. I also look forward to hopefully being able to support some of you also but maybe when i am a little further down the line. One thing i dont get is that before when i have gone 7 weeks sober and then had one drink and its been back to square one for me. In all honesty while i am typing this all i am thinking about is a vodka and lemonade which i havent even got in the house. xx