Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Day 11 - Not ready to be around alcohol or drugs and I know it

Notices

Old 06-24-2014, 07:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I was invited to a party July 4th via facebook at childhood friends and former band mate's house. He's a drinker, maybe ever an alcoholic, which never occurred to me until just recently, maybe because I considered my drinking more serious, IDK. This party guarantees tons of booze, marijuana, and possibly other drugs.

I clicked the "not attending" button. Attending this party will be many of my childhood friends and people I know from surrounding towns and basically half of my fb friends list. I'm kind of bummed out, because I want to socialize, being that I have been all but a recluse the past few years.

At this point in my recovery I'm in no way prepared to attend this event, I won't even try to contemplate the matter. Instead, I will spend the day with my family and watch my son marvel at the fireworks, which will mean much more to me anyways.

To this point my cravings have been minimal, but I have no crystal ball to predict when they will come, and I'm still working on putting together my recovery plan.

Thanks.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like a well thought out decision to me. This is a good example of how we are not powerless in terms of choosing what situations we place ourselves in. If you were inclined to drink or use or still on the fence, you would have likely chosen the other way. But you are choosing to be with your family and support your son on a day when they/he will enjoy having you around. That's a very healthy, unselfish choice that is evidence of a change in you.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You gotta do what you gotta do to stay Sober, if that means turning down events then that's the best way forward!!

Keep pushing through Serotonin!!
Old 06-24-2014, 01:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah I try to divide social events into two categories: social events where the primary purpose of the event is to party/get drunk/get high and social events where there may be some drinking but the primary purpose is something else. Category 1 I avoid now, category 2 I am generally OK. Sounds like this event might lean more towards category 1. Remember though, it is always our decision and our decision alone to take that first drink regardless of the environment, just some have better resolve/more sobriety under their belt than others.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well done x