Notices

Last couple years

Old 06-23-2014, 08:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Last couple years

3 years ago I was going through a very rough time & decided to quit everything. I went about a year and everything started coming back together. Soon after I decided to experiment with the idea that maybe I didn't have such a big issue after all. I've kept it together for the most part and usually only drink once every 2 months. This year has been hard on me emotionally and I've decided that alcohol has no place in my life. I've decided that there is zero benefits to drinking and planning to never drink again. I believe I can fix my problems before my life starts to spiral down. I am a binge drinker so I have no issues going short periods of time. It may be easy now but I know there will be harder times. Time to face reality and stop running. It's good to be back.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad you're back, too. Some don't make it.
Reality can bite you. I used it as a wake up call. I went from a occasional drinker, to a binge drinker to an every day drinker. It was progressive with me.
Thought I could handle it, then reality caught up with me and I realized I had turned into a raving alcoholic.
I experimented every way you can think of to justify my drinking, but at the end of the day I was addicted and hopeless.

I sincerely hope you fare better than I did. It's been three and a half years now since I've had a drink. I know I am always one drink away from a drunk, but I am loving life sober. I hope the same for you.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome 1983ritag! I have been around here for a while but have hit my personal rock bottom and have begun to post. You will find a lot of support here!

I went from a occasional drinker, to a binge drinker to an every day drinker. It was progressive with me.
Thought I could handle it, then reality caught up with me and I realized I had turned into a raving alcoholic.
I experimented every way you can think of to justify my drinking, but at the end of the day I was addicted and hopeless.

Ghostlight1 ~You perfectly described my journey as well. It is a slippery slop we slid down!
Old 06-23-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome back!! Great to have you onboard!!
Old 06-23-2014, 11:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I totally understand how this is progressive. I also realize its normal to think, "well, maybe I'm different, maybe I don't actually have a problem." But it's only a matter of time before bimonthly binge drinking turns into monthly, weekly, daily. I must stop before it turns into that.

I've known for a long time deep down inside that I shouldn't drink. One of biggest things that has stopped me from quiting all together has been my mind telling me I'm too young to quit.

Also looking around at all these dysfunctional people around me that have worse issues but still don't think they have a problem. I see that and think, well I'm not nearly that bad, maybe I don't have to quit. I realize that is just my addict voice rationalizing things.

I've blacked out too many times to count and I've been extremely lucky that nothing devastating has happened to me or anyone else because of it.

I decided to get a six pack Saturday and a couple airplane bottles. Since I don't drink often, they really messed me up and I don't remember going to sleep.

It's really scary knowing that there is a period of time I don't remember. God only knows what could've happened. I realize that this can never happen again. And the only way I can prevent it from happening is to not drink.

The first time I quit a couple years ago I knew in the back of my head that I would drink again eventually. This time I realize that it's time to let go forever.

I see many people in my life lose everything including their lives due to addiction. I can't follow the same path. Time to turn things around.

I have a hard time reaching out, even just posting makes me feel weak. I know I need to get past that if I am going to make this work though. I realize I do need support and will do anything it takes to stay sober.

Going to call a counselor, make a plan and see where this road takes me. Thanks for your replies guys
Old 06-23-2014, 01:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

good to see you again!
Old 06-23-2014, 10:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to see you back 1983ritag and I think you've made a great decision

D
Old 06-24-2014, 06:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks guys good to be back. More determined than ever this time.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Love your avatar..the George Elliot quote. That says it quite nicely.
Back in my 20's..I first went to AA for more the problem you describe.. drinking to blackout on the occasions I did drink.
I crossed over the line into more of a daily drinker in my 30's during a very painful time in my life..
And here I am in my 40's still trying to derail that crazy train.

Welcome back.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I understand that if I keep it going, daily drinking is a probability. I need to fix whatever is going on and learn how to deal with things without substances. Glad you are figuring things out