Notices

The health service and bad habits

Old 06-23-2014, 03:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The health service and bad habits

I guess this is kind of a side discussion for the usual topics here, but I thought I would bring it up anyway.

In the NHS certain people would like to take away treatment for drunks. Not abusive drunks, just drink-related illness or injury.

The political reasons for this are obvious, a conservative government naturally wants a private healthcare system. There has also been discussions to take away treatment for the obese and smokers. But drinkers appear to be the most giddily discussed as it's probably felt that its easier for people to lack sympathy for users of a drug when regularly disrupts people's lives every weekend.

Putting aside the moral issue of taking the stance which says "well you've made a mistake, now you will be aloud to die". There's also that as a country, we spend a fortune on beer, which is taxed. In essence, we've already paid for our treatment.

This is also a turning point where the health service would no longer represent "free treatment for all", so anyone who did not live a perfectly healthy lifestyle would be up for rejection.

Apolagies for a UK based political rant to my US based recovery chums.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yeah it's been going on for years that debate, though I always wonder about the enforcement of such a policy, who gets to decide or what would be the benchmark for healthy living? would a doctor get to make a discretionary call for each patient or would a framework of guidelines be created? so if someone was over a certain weight, or if someone had noticeable damage/symptoms of excessive alcohol?

The issue with free universal healthcare is the issue of taxation, that is what funds it, so it's not going to be a vote winner telling people they have to pay tax and then pay for healthcare, a system of buying into health insurance would be a compromise but then how much annual revenue would the government loose if we all paid less in tax and chose to insure ourselves, like a more US system of things.

The other issue is it might cause a drop in revenue for the companies selling alcohol, as with tobacco, the industry has taken a slump since "quitting smoking" campaigns have been in existence, the new thing is now creating and promoting e cigarettes to boost profits.

Overall I have faith in the alcohol lobby that they have enough money and weight to throw at this to ensure it's place in UK culture is alive and well!!
Old 06-23-2014, 04:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

As long as there are people who need help, there will be that help. It may not always be provided by a healthcare "system" but there will always be other alcoholics/addicts who will be willing to help. I know that I cannot keep what I don't give away.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm more thinking of breaking your leg stumbling home drunk or needing some new organs, that type of thing.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Stand and Be True

Roll on that referendum is all I can say to that
Old 06-23-2014, 05:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TroubledJoe View Post
Roll on that referendum is all I can say to that
No, don't leave us with these loonatics!