Notices

Rumination and the Reset Button

Old 06-22-2014, 02:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rumination and the Reset Button

I've been sober 63, 64 days, something like that and this is where I always slip up. I've done pretty well at work after a rough stretch, but the stress is starting to build.

I find myself ruminating over work stresses and none of my tools that I've used are working right now. Meditation, exercise, playing with my kids...none seem to work.

I always used to hit the reset button. Have a 24 hour bender, de-stress and say screw it. The alcohol used to help me understand that which I am powerless over and when drunk I would be ok with that which I can't control. I don't know if that makes sense, but it's true that alcohol was an easy way to be at peace with work stresses.

My wife left town on Thursday and Friday night, and get this...I didn't drink. But I almost regret it now because I've been obsessing over all these things about work that I can't control...and many of them are really just invented by me.

I'm dedicated to being sober...so let's call off the dogs. But I think that we have to acknowledge the uses it had.

I'm just sharing...because I'm dedicated to making it through, I'm just struggling a little this weekend and I don't know...

Anybody feel me?
Old 06-22-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The plan needs to be changed then, after 60 days and nothing is different, then the results won't be any different.

I know what you mean about work stress, I used to drink to make it disappear, but the danger for me was the short term fix would lead to a binge over a few weeks, and it was getting increasingly difficult to come back to Sobriety, it would take longer and longer to break the drinking habit after work each time.

There has to be a way of dealing with work stress without alcohol, everyone who is teetotal aren't unemployed or employed in jobs with no stress, there has to be a way surely?

For me, I had to find a new way of dealing with the stress, exercise, long walks in the fresh air, more sleep, herbal teas, I tried everything until I finally cracked it!!
Old 06-22-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I wish I had advice. Work stress was a big trigger for me, and I also found that nothing worked. Right now, I am looking for a different type of job, and working on my own attitude.