Notices

I want to make the rest of my life the best of my life

Old 06-22-2014, 12:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I want to make the rest of my life the best of my life

I have been drinking heavily for a number of years however it has recently progressed to drinking in the mornings at weekends. I returned from our annual holiday today, with having my husband look at me with disgust as I pick up a brandy at 5 am this morning. I basically did not have the holiday we should, hardly eating, husband going down for breakfast on his own, and me heaving sick for the last three days of the holiday. I don't want to do it anymore. I have started having tremors today but determined to follow through due for the love I have for my husband, children and grandsons. I also have a very stressful job but due to my drinking I am losing confidence in meetings and my colleagues have started to notice. I am now going to my second meeting for CBT to hopefully will make me more positive and assertive. I have been reading this site for at least a year and feel now is the time to join and get support. Sorry for rambling on, however probably the first time today and on this that I have been honest with myself. Is there anything I need to do for withdrawals?
Old 06-22-2014, 12:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Macali!!

I too got to the point of deciding something needs to change with my drinking, you'll find loads of support and understanding here on SR!!

The first thing I did when I got Sober was check in with my GP to make sure things were going to be safe just quitting, even if you don't need anything for withdrawals it's still a good idea to be sure.

Great to have you onboard!!
Old 06-22-2014, 12:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you purple knight. Feel so much better even now knowing I will have the support on here!
Old 06-22-2014, 12:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR Macali - you are in the right place for encouragement.

I was in a similar situation when I found SR. I drank for many years & it was fun for about 10 of them. As time went on alcohol became a necessity. When I finally quit I was drinking all day (even at work) & completely dependent on it. The fun it once had been was long gone - and never coming back. I wasted so much time trying to become a social drinker. In the end, I was very thankful to be free of it. Trying to manage it was exhausting - and I always ended up drunk despite my best intentions.

Try to stay hydrated and keep yourself busy & distracted as you withdraw. Fortunately, you never have to feel this way again. Glad you found us.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I love the title of your threat. And in that respect "I'm picking up what you're throwing down". You can do this.

Others may be along to speak to the withdrawal aspect. You are among friends.
Welcome.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you Nuudawn, I have so much to live for and to give and cannot believe I have got to this place in my life. I am grateful for your post.

I
Old 06-22-2014, 01:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome! You may need medical attention for withdraws, other than that my experience has shown that I could never stop on my own no matter how bad I truly wanted to! I found support here on SR and through the program of AA. You can find a meeting in your area and meet with people that have been exactly where you're at right now! Either way you'll need a plan, we'll be pulling for you!
Old 06-22-2014, 01:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Macali View Post
I have been drinking heavily for a number of years however it has recently progressed to drinking in the mornings at weekends. I returned from our annual holiday today, with having my husband look at me with disgust as I pick up a brandy at 5 am this morning. I basically did not have the holiday we should, hardly eating, husband going down for breakfast on his own, and me heaving sick for the last three days of the holiday. I don't want to do it anymore. I have started having tremors today but determined to follow through due for the love I have for my husband, children and grandsons. I also have a very stressful job but due to my drinking I am losing confidence in meetings and my colleagues have started to notice. I am now going to my second meeting for CBT to hopefully will make me more positive and assertive. I have been reading this site for at least a year and feel now is the time to join and get support. Sorry for rambling on, however probably the first time today and on this that I have been honest with myself. Is there anything I need to do for withdrawals?
Hi macali,

Welcome and well done for getting here. I started morning drinking and I can honestly say I lost months!! It becomes the most natural thing in the world to you yet to others the most wrong and bizarre thought. Shows how sick alcoholism makes you.

Have you thought about AA? I'm from the Glasgow area and could give you some info on meetings if, of course that was something you wanted to look at.

You aren't alone. Post, be vocal. Do anything not to drink.

Wishing you well.

One day at a time.

L x
Old 06-22-2014, 01:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Welcome Macali! I'm so glad you posted. You will find a lot of friends here. Take it one day, hour or minute at at time and keep reading here. AA or other programs can help too if you need local support. My best to you.
Old 06-22-2014, 01:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Realising my life

A huge welcome to you, Macali You've found the right place - and thousands of new friends