OT – hair dryer problem!

Old 06-22-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT – hair dryer problem!

My hair dryer became unplugged while I was using it. I plugged it back in and it didn't work. I unplugged it again, plugged it back in, pressed the test/reset buttons but nothing. Does anyone have any other suggestions, besides buying a new one? Thanks.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

choublak, have you either A: Tried the hair dryer in another outlet or B: Tried something that you know for sure works in the outlet you're using now? There's a chance something is wacked out w/the outlet, like maybe a fuse blew or a breaker popped? Those are easy enough to fix, and would most likely be the problem at my old farmhouse.

Maybe it became unplugged b/c of something that let loose in the outlet itself, and that is likely NOT so easy or cheap to fix...but at least you'd know the problem was not the hair dryer. On second thought, maybe buying a new hair dryer isn't so bad...

Let me know if that helps at all. Good luck!
Old 06-22-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Have you tried it in a different plug? . . . it could be the plug rather than the hairdryer!!
Old 06-22-2014, 01:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

agreed, it could be the outlet. i'm always for giving things a good whack and if that doesn't work, set it down and check it again in an hour or so. It may have overheated.....which sounds silly for a hair dryer! much like the cleaning stuff you have to run thru these newer washing machines.....
Old 06-22-2014, 01:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Reset the GFC on the outlet in the bathroom, wherever that is. It may not be the same outlet. multiple outlets will be connected to one GFC outlet.

Look at all outlets in the bathroom and locate the one with a reset button.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Flotsam & Jetsam Build-up

About all Hair Dryers have a High Temp Sensor in them for safety in case they get too hot internally. It interrupts Voltage if so. Do a quick visual on the Hair Dryer. On the Air Inlet Screen, see if it is clogged with 'stuff' and not optically clear. If so, this will cause less Air throughput, and result in overheating.

With the Hair Dryer unplugged, of course, vacuum out that 'stuff'. Use a Toothpick or a junk Toothbrush to loosen 'stuff' to allow it to be vacuumed away. Also, look at where the Air comes out. If it's junked up, clean it, too.

And, yes, try another, known-good Outlet. One with a lit Lamp plugged into it will confirm that the Outlet is good. This will settle the question if it's the Hair Dryer or the Outlet.

There is usually a GFIC in a lil 'cube' at the Wall-end Plug. Ensure, by pushing buttons, that it has been reset.

Sometimes, all the motion while Hair drying internally breaks the Cord right where it enters the Hair Dryer Body. In this case, you likely can't do anything yourself. It's Hair Dryer replacement time.