Notices

Am i dying?!!

Old 06-21-2014, 04:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Am i dying?!!

Ended up in the ER yesterday after being out on the boat with friends. I was severely dehydrated and all of a sudden my lower back started hurting and just kept getting more and more intense and I couldn't walk and also constantly throwing up...so got taken by ambulance. I was in the hospital for 10 hours for being so dehyrated. My liver enzymes were high, my blood glucose was low. My CT scan showed some fatty parts on my liver. I am only 24 years old!! Am I dying?! I am literally shaking I am so scared! I will be seeing a doctor this week I am hoping for follow up. The ER doctor was worried about my liver and told me to get seen ASAP. I also have a kidney infection due to the UTI's I have had and never finished treatment for them.

I know this is scary and I am in shock still!! I am so scared that I am dying at such a young age.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

All I think any of us will be able to tell you is to go see your doctor. Be honest with them about your drinking.

Also, I'll chime in that it's very, very important to take the full course of antibiotics you are prescribed.

Do yourself a favor and don't spend the rest of the weekend with Dr. Google. You'll make yourself crazy.

If things continue to get worse, head back to the ER.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi kmae

I know it's scary but the great likelihood is you're not dying

The liver is pretty remarkable in that it can repair itself to a large extent, and you have youth on your side

We're not indestructible tho .

The best thing you can do for your health now is not drink anymore. That will maximise your chances of a complete recovery.

let us know what the Dr says, OK?
D
Old 06-21-2014, 04:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm glad you are seeing a dr. This week. The body is amazing and able to repair itself in many cases. Hang in there and think positive thoughts.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

were/are you drinking still?
Old 06-21-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can't imagine you are dying, if the ER doctor let you out and you are not in intensive care, the doctors are happy for you to go and see your own doctor.

Breath!! . . . "some fatty parts" on the liver is not liver failure.

See your Dr asap, take his advice, and take everything onboard that something needs to change in your life, but for now try to relax!!
Old 06-21-2014, 05:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hopefully this will be the wake-up call that you need to make significant changes to your life. I'm glad you went to the ER and that you will be seeing your dr soon.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I used to drink almost everyday. I just don't understand how this is happening at my age. I am quitting drinking, especially after this scare/nightmare. I had quit for a little over a week, went out boating with friends and ended up drinking a little much. As of now, I do not want to drink. I will not allow this to take my life. I have far too much to live for. Thank you all so much for the support, and once I hear from the doctor, I will be sure to let you know his thoughts on this. ALSO- I've definitely stopped googling. Going to make myself a nervous wreck!!
Old 06-21-2014, 06:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

the human body( liver especially. it has a pretty big job to do and its work is complicated when large quantities of alcohol are introduced) can have serious reactions to alcohol comsumption and can be exaggerated with what you experienced. drink lots of fluids( non alcoholc fluids of course).
Old 06-21-2014, 07:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

We'll you already had some wise feedback. Take your chance and run for sobriety.

Alcoholic will only continue to fail you without a doubt. Take care and keep reaching out
Old 06-21-2014, 07:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

A friend of mine had high liver enzyme levels and after 30 days or so sober they had already gone down substantially. I think and hope you'll be fine and just use this as a wake-up call.

Praying for you!
Old 06-21-2014, 10:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Everyone seems to think things are way worse than they are, kmae89, and it's easy to fear the worst. A doctor is the only one that can tell you definitively but as others have told you it's usually not as bad as we fear. The body has a great capacity to heal itself once we stop harming it.

That said, you probably will die an early and unpleasant death if you continue to drink. Take this as a wakeup call and stop now!