Notices

When The Walls Come Tumbling Down

Old 06-20-2014, 07:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When The Walls Come Tumbling Down

This sure is not a "Happy Month".

It seems as if all the people I have looked up to for support/confidence/reassurance are falling apart themselves.

If they don't think they will make it how can I?

I know they need and deserve support just like me, but if one breaks are we all going to fall?

I'm getting scared, is it going to be the domino affect?
Old 06-20-2014, 07:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It doesn't have to be. You can be the one who doesn't fall.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hmm !!! i wonder if god will get a mention here ?

i have heard this type of stuff used in aa meetings were big book bashers try to call people in meetings
they try to say its wrong to rely on aa or the people in it etc and use this domino effect idea to try to prove a point

but after 75 years aa is still going strong and hasnt domino effected yet ?

i could be totaly wrong here and this post is for real but i have seen this sort of trick used before in meetings by people whos only motives are to cause trouble in meetings in the name of there god as it says so in the book
Old 06-20-2014, 07:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Your success is based on what you do/don't do.

You don't have to follow in anyone's footsteps.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

I don't think that is what this is about, Desypete.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I personally see no inevitability, there are some who are stumbling, but there are also many newcomers who are doing very well and new people joining every day. We have weekend thread filled with success, monthly thread filled with sober people, sober people everywhere. And most who have stumbled are picking themselves up and getting back on top of things. Today is just as good of a day to be sober as any.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This seems like a good opportunity to be there to support those people who were there for you, maybe?

Also I think you have to make the decision that external stuff, like other people's drinking, doesn't have any bearing on whether or not you drink. I never got drunk because of someone else, or dumb luck, or misfortune -- it was always just me, picking up, glug-glug-glug, down the hatch. I used to try to justify it by saying "oh, I drink because I hate my job" or "man I had a really bad day" but that's garbage. I drank because I decided to procure alcohol and imbibe it. That's all you need to know, the rest of it is irrelevant, really.

So it's really up to you. Just do what you need to do to stay sober and things will work on out.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree with Scott,, you rather be here to talk and listen to people who know exactly what you feel right now, the are placed you can get help from people that learned it all in a book, but have no real live experience.....
I was sober 100 days, made a mistake, but picked myself up again, saw where I failed and started again, 30 days sober today...
Yes there are some sad stories here, but there are also great stories, 3 yr sober, 7 yr sober, but they are still here for support... Hang in there, do you fine, just wait and see
Old 06-20-2014, 08:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Don't get spooked airwick - there's a *lot* of members with good quality, long term recovery here.

As long as you do everything in your power not to pick up - & leave no stone unturned to find the right help and support - you'll be doing ok

Recovery really is possible. I bet my life on it

D
Old 06-20-2014, 08:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by desypete View Post

i have heard this type of stuff used in aa meetings were big book bashers try to call people in meetings
they try to say its wrong to rely on aa or the people in it etc and use this domino effect idea to try to prove a point

i could be totaly wrong here and this post is for real but i have seen this sort of trick used before in meetings by people whos only motives are to cause trouble in meetings in the name of there god as it says so in the book
You really need to read around the boards a little more I think Pete...then you'd know the context of this thread and know this is no trick.

D
Old 06-20-2014, 08:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by desypete View Post

Now I am confused I mentioned nothing of AA, I'm glad it is going strong. I apologize for the misunderstanding of my post. Maybe I was just looking for a bit of reassurance for myself.

"D", I really meant nothing by my comment
Old 06-20-2014, 08:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Don't get spooked airwick - there's a *lot* of members with good quality, long term recovery here.

As long as you do everything in your power not to pick up - & leave no stone unturned to find the right help and support - you'll be doing ok

Recovery really is possible. I bet my life on it

D
I didn't mean to insinuate that any members had any bad qualities what-so-ever Sorry

I just seem to be sinking myself deeper huh? Take it light my father always told me
Old 06-20-2014, 08:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey relax airwick - I'm on your team

I know it's rough when friends fall - but there's still lots of people here with really strong recovery available to help and guide you, and them.

That's all I meant

D
Old 06-20-2014, 08:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

How are you doing though? There are many times I felt like I wasn't going to make it either. There is always someone on here to talk to that is in a good place. People fall and they get back up.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey airwick….I think your OP sort of highlights the fact that the sheer number of days someone has been sober is usually less important than where they are at any given time. You can have 2 different people with 3 years each, and one might be in a harmonic place while the other is climbing the walls.

I learn just as much when someone who is just beginning their journey shares. Sometimes it's easy, and we all know sometimes it's not.

I was in rehab for a month about a year ago. The last day I had my bag packed, and I was sitting alone in my room about to leave for the airport. That snapshot is frozen in my mind because it felt like one of those movies that you aren't quite sure…is this going to have a good ending or not?

At that moment I realized, the only one who could write the ending was me. It was an overwhelming sense of relief when I realized that this wasn't a whim that was contingent on anyone else, it was solely up to me.

So far, I like the way my ending has been scripted. You are writing your ending too….and you have all it takes to make it a good one.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am, and will always remain, just another humble brother in recovery. So, my feeling here, or opinion, is just that. I know that, for me, I sometimes tend to lose track of the real enemy in all of this, what I fight every day.
It's not my sponsor, who unfortunately relapsed. It's not any person or their personal faith. It's not the rooms or the places. For me, today, the real enemy is my addiction and my behaviors entertaining it.
I am absolutely convinced, that my bodily and spiritual survival, depend on my successful battle with this only. While I do rely on my higher power, I follow the same path we all do. I reach for the same horizon. I want recovery. I wish the same for all of us.

In peace,

michaels
Old 06-20-2014, 08:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hang in there my friend! Our sobriety dates are right next to each other. If I can do it I know you can do it!
Old 06-20-2014, 08:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by michaels_w View Post
I am, and will always remain, just another humble brother in recovery. So, my feeling here, or opinion, is just that. I know that, for me, I sometimes tend to lose track of the real enemy in all of this, what I fight every day.
It's not my sponsor, who unfortunately relapsed. It's not any person or their personal faith. It's not the rooms or the places. For me, today, the real enemy is my addiction and my behaviors entertaining it.
I am absolutely convinced, that my bodily and spiritual survival, depend on my successful battle with this only. While I do rely on my higher power, I follow the same path we all do. I reach for the same horizon. I want recovery. I wish the same for all of us.

In peace,

michaels
Even though I can't "hear" your voice, that was very soothing. Thanks
Old 06-20-2014, 08:57 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SigChiScooby View Post
Hang in there my friend! Our sobriety dates are right next to each other. If I can do it I know you can do it!
You bet "We" can!
Old 06-20-2014, 08:58 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

We all have crazy times and sane times. It's a good thing we don't all have the crazy times at the same time. if you're having a rough spell, those who aren't can support you, that's how it usually works.