Notices

Can't concentrate!

Old 06-20-2014, 06:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Can't concentrate!

This is the point at which, after being sober for a week, I notice I have the most trouble being able to focus or concentrate on anything! And in my line of work, it is absolutely necessary I be able to do just that. It is typical for me to be restless and anxious a lot of the time, normally, but upon sobering up it is worse than ever. Going to see my doc again today. Maybe I'll ask him what to do. Physical work I can handle, although even with that I can't seem to stay on task with one thing at a time, but being mentally focused seems nearly impossible right now.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Your doctor should be able to help.

How about some coffee? Caffeine in small quantities helps me focus.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
KAD

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Your doctor should be able to help.

How about some coffee? Caffeine in small quantities helps me focus.
Already had a tall cup of extra strength Colombian this morning. Still nothing.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GetMeOut View Post

This is the point at which, after being sober for a week, I notice I have the most trouble being able to focus or concentrate on anything!.
This last time around sobering up for me was very hard and this lasted for a few months. I was in a deep fog and had fears that my mind would never clear up. Yes, this scared the hell out of me.

The good news
All things got 100% better with some time away from the liquid devil.

Mountainman
Old 06-20-2014, 06:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

After a week sober I feel the lack of concentration myself. Sometimes I feel like I can't even understand basic concepts or understand things easily.

From what I've been told this eventually clears up, so don't beat yourself up and try to remember it will take time to clear out the cob webs.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Not sure how long you've been sober, but my first week or so was rough! I couldn't concentrate, real frustrated and such. The doctor offered anxiety meds, but I turned them down, didn't wan't to end up with another issue : ) Anyway, it did get better. Going to meetings and working the steps of AA has really mellowed me out. I do a lot of prayer and meditation which helps keep me centered and focused.

I do drink a bit of coffee as well

Hope it gets better soon!
Old 06-20-2014, 06:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
KAD

Originally Posted by ultradad View Post
Not sure how long you've been sober, but my first week or so was rough! I couldn't concentrate, real frustrated and such. The doctor offered anxiety meds, but I turned them down, didn't wan't to end up with another issue : ) Anyway, it did get better. Going to meetings and working the steps of AA has really mellowed me out. I do a lot of prayer and meditation which helps keep me centered and focused.

I do drink a bit of coffee as well

Hope it gets better soon!
Today is day 8 so it is pretty early on. I do IT work and database programming type stuff. Jesus, it's damn near impossible for me to make sense out of what I'm looking at right now!
Old 06-20-2014, 06:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

In my first few weeks I found myself going outside or onto a cool staircase for air and a few deep breaths whenever I could during the day at work, my head was almost spinning and doing tasks was tough.

I ended up slowing things down, what I could probably have done in a day, I spread it over 2/3 days, in the hope that it was only going to be a short term fix, and sure enough things got better with time.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just breath my friend and it sucked when people told me this, but it really does get better. Any chance you could take a week or two off, get away or maybe let your head (thoughts) settle. Are you working a program like AA or going on your on? Just things to consider...

Try not to get overwhelmed, slow down and be easy on yourself : )
Old 06-20-2014, 06:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
KAD

Just breath my friend and it sucked when people told me this, but it really does get better. Any chance you could take a week or two off, get away or maybe let your head (thoughts) settle. Are you working a program like AA or going on your on? Just things to consider...

Try not to get overwhelmed, slow down and be easy on yourself : )
Just went to a couple AA meetings this week. First one sucked, but the second one went very well. Gonna try to get to it again tonight but my kids are coming back from Summer Camp around the same time and wanna be home for that. It's my weekend with them and it will be the first one in a month I'll be sober with them.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good stuff! I attend an 'open AA meeting' on Fridays and they actually provide childcare so my wife and oldest son go to the meeting with me and the 3 younger ones get to go play.

It's a win, win... not sure what's available in your area, but just a thought. Believe it or not, the whole family looks forward to the meeting on Friday! And as a side note, it took me a while to find a group that I felt comfortable with, so try different meetings and locations if available!
Old 06-20-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Today is day 8 so it is pretty early on. I do IT work and database programming type stuff. Jesus, it's damn near impossible for me to make sense out of what I'm looking at right now!
It can take quite a long time for the fog to clear, but it will happen. I found that caffiene actually made things worse for me - made me more anxious and consequently worried more about the fogginess, etc. Try and take a step back and work on things one at a time if you can.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

work in progress

Just went to a couple AA meetings this week. First one sucked, but the second one went very well.
We need to remember that meetings are not always perfect because there are ones such as us there.

I'm (slowly) a sober work in progress.

Mountainman
Old 06-20-2014, 07:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
KAD

Good stuff! I attend an 'open AA meeting' on Fridays and they actually provide childcare so my wife and oldest son go to the meeting with me and the 3 younger ones get to go play.

It's a win, win... not sure what's available in your area, but just a thought. Believe it or not, the whole family looks forward to the meeting on Friday! And as a side note, it took me a while to find a group that I felt comfortable with, so try different meetings and locations if available!
I live in a fairly rural area so there are literally only about 4 different meeting locations here. I could travel about an hour away to the city, but I think the one I went to Tuesday night is a good fit. Gonna stick with that one for now.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Everyone is different, I had countless up and downs during my first 60 days. It does get better, just be patient. Drinking lots of water and running or going for hikes did it for me. On days where I felt really off, I would swim. Good luck to you!!
Old 06-20-2014, 10:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
KAD

Just went to my doctor for a followup. Mentioned feelings of depression, anxiety, and the inability to concentrate. He gave me samples of a drug called Strattera which is supposed to help with such things. It's worth a try. I've got too much work to catch up on to just sit here not being able to focus on a damned thing!
Old 06-20-2014, 10:49 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

He gave me samples of a drug called Strattera
I would read up regarding possible side effects and then take them into consideration.

Mountainman
Old 06-20-2014, 10:56 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
KAD

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
I would read up regarding possible side effects and then take them into consideration.

Mountainman
I did, and the information I read said the majority of users have no side effects at all, but there are some with every medication. If I don't like how it makes me feel, I'll certainly stop taking it. Glad its just samples and didn't cost me anything!
Old 06-20-2014, 11:04 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

There's a lot to be said for letting things naturally clear up in the head. It does get better. I've been there, where I'd sit and start at a book, nothing soaking in. Not able to do simple math, and like someone else mentioned... not getting the simple concepts. This is all part of PAWS. It comes and goes for some. For me, it's getting a lot better. I'm at 445 days, no use of any medication to help me get here and glad I didn't. That's my two cents. We all experience PAWS differently though.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I did, and the information I read said the majority of users have no side effects at all, but there are some with every medication. If I don't like how it makes me feel, I'll certainly stop taking it. Glad its just samples and didn't cost me anything!
Keep in mind that you are only a week sober and some psychiatric drugs can take weeks to start working. I'd also recommend staying in close touch with your doc if you decide to quit - withdrawals are possible from prescription drugs as well as adverse effects during said withdrawals.

I guess bottom line is there's no magic pill that's going to make everything instantly better ;-)