Notices

craving

Old 06-19-2014, 08:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

craving

Only saying earlier on another post I've done so well this time with beating cravings and not having any.
Today is a beautiful day here and my first day off in and will be ages.
The footie is on tonight which I'm not fussed about but I would love to sit in a beer garden with a nice cold pint.
The craving has been bad now for nearly 2 hours.
Doesn't help that I feel fuzzy headed from having to have a tramadol this morning for my back.

Please help me through this as I am doing so well and don't want to mess it up.

I've never known weather make me crave drink before
Old 06-19-2014, 08:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Cravings can pop up just about anytime. Just remember that they are only thoughts in your head - you have zero obligation to act on them.

If it helps, remember that you are also only craving that initial/fleeting moment of pleasure that will certainly turn into a nightmare. It won't be just one beer and you will regret it on many levels.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zombiegirl View Post
my first day off in and will be ages.
My guess is...that...combined with the sun is the trigger. And the trama-whamma..whatever that is probably ain't helping in this context. You're inhibitions might be lowered a bit.

I know that "days off" were typically, for me, ..wahoo time...let's get a bottle and make this a par-tay (even if that par-tay was all by myself). I mean what else does one do with leisure time if you have spent years just drinking with it?
Old 06-19-2014, 08:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Maybe you can think of something fun to do - shopping, walking, getting ice cream, listening to music, meet up with a friend? Do whatever it takes to get through this.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Been for a walk xx
Old 06-19-2014, 09:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zombiegirl View Post
Been for a walk xx
Feeling better?
How bout a cartwheel now? When was the last time you did a handstand against the wall?
Good book? Movie on Netflix (got that in UK)? Closet or junk drawer to clean? Got a chocolate bar, ice cream and a blender? Make a blizzard!

K...I need to stop drinking coffee and get off this site : )
Old 06-19-2014, 09:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Zombiegirl. I look at cravings like a wave. The come up from nowhere and they build and build. Then they eventually break and go away. You need to hang on when they build. Reach out like you did. Distract like Anna noted. The craving is just temporary but the decision to drink could be devastating. Think about how depressed and disappointed you will be if you drink. Remember, it will subside. Hang tight!
Old 06-19-2014, 09:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Zombiegirl,

You can do this - it is worth it. Keep remembering that you are sober. This happened to me last week and everyone's posts gave me so much encouragement so read what everyone posts - I am rooting for you!
Old 06-19-2014, 10:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You got this zombiegirl!!
Old 06-19-2014, 03:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

remember these tips ZG

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

D
Old 06-19-2014, 04:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I get these association cravings as well, this is my year of firsts.

In the end all most every aspect of my life had been affected by alcohol, all weather, relationships, cleaning, cooking, house painting, working, etc. Changing the familiar.
All most everything was done with a drink in my hand or anticipating a drink in my hand.

My year of firsts is about changing the association of alcohol & the daily and seasonal events in my life.

As the cravings and association washes over me, I will make a note in my mind that I am doing it sober and I am happy about it and will keep doing it till whatever I am doing is no longer associated with drinking.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
My guess is...that...combined with the sun is the trigger. And the trama-whamma..whatever that is probably ain't helping in this context. You're inhibitions might be lowered a bit.

I know that "days off" were typically, for me, ..wahoo time...let's get a bottle and make this a par-tay (even if that par-tay was all by myself). I mean what else does one do with leisure time if you have spent years just drinking with it?
I thought about this and thought it has been a long time between a handstand against the wall, 10 years ago that was easy...these days, Naw Uhh impossible, I just tried, that was hilarious..one of my new goals is to be able to do a handstand against a wall..:

Thud...oops
Old 06-19-2014, 04:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I had my first day off of my summer break today too. I went shopping, downloaded a new book, met a friend for lunch, gave my dog a bath, and now I'm looking for a show to watch on tv. For me it is important to stay busy when a craving comes up. I hope you are doing well