Notices

Weekender thread! June 20-22!!! Come join us!

Old 06-19-2014, 08:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Cool Weekender thread! June 20-22!!! Come join us!

My company is very much into giving back to the communities we work and live in. This week... Wednesday... my team and extended teams... About 95 of us... descended on schools and parks all around the town I work in. I worked in a smaller group of 8 others at a school doing gardening.

I had to laugh as my OCD made it so I kept wanting to dust off the various benches as we got dirt on them. Must have done that like 20 times! Then I kept putting all the tools in one spot. Lol yes... I have my ways but since I am always alone I don't notice the orderliness of my life until...

Anyway .... I have found one of the best tools in sobriety is to give. Not being an AA person I do know they have that same element of service in sobriety if anyone wants to comment on that.

A few weeks back I made plans... Monday is my birthday! (A mere 48!) and so I took the day off and signed up to serve at the homeless shelter. What better thing can I do for myself on a day I would typically sit around and think about all my drunken high wasted time. My prime years gone to nothingness... Than to see people who understand through circumstance the humility of life.

If you are struggling why not give giving a try?

Happy Wee!kender!

*Ring Ring*

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
~~~ Winston Churchill
Old 06-19-2014, 08:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I call shotgun!

Happy Birthday (soon) Weasel!
Your prime years are now!

I find giving is one of the best feelings one can have.
You have given me much to think about (there you go, giving again!)...
Sometimes I check in on the elder customers of ours, but I really should do more.
I will come up with a plan to make giving a more regular part of my life.

I am in for the weekend!!!
Old 06-19-2014, 08:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Lol I ride with you guys every weekend, you just rarely see me.

I need to volunteer more. Looking forward to seeing what others do to pay it forward.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

I'm in Weasel, everyone enjoy a sober weekend.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Happy soon to be birthday Weasel. This weekend I am going to play in the flower beds again. I do not have anything planned which is both good and bad but I will spend it doing sober activities like going for a bike ride, buying shorts for the kids, maybe a little ice cream and hopefully one afternoon nap!

Enjoy everyone.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm all in!!! Can't wait for a beautiful sober weekend!!
Old 06-19-2014, 09:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm in!

I'm working today and tomorrow, so starting my third sober weekend early.

Thank you to everyone who is joining in.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

I'm here - Happy Birthday early, Weasel and thank you for the thoughtful first post.

I took a picture this week for you all when I was out buying postcards for Olive. Not as scenic as the lighthouse, but shows the beautiful Carolina blue sky. We have a small garden growing between the History Museum and the Natural Sciences Museum. The building with the green roof is the Legislative Building.

I even figured out how to use TinyPic...there's no stopping me now.

Anyway, great to back for the weekend. I hit two months on Saturday. Can't think of a better group to share that with!

take care, Charlee
Old 06-19-2014, 09:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This is probably the last weekend I will enjoy til end of August so I am going to make sure I damn well enjoy it...SOBER!
Hoping to get some shopping in, mini golf, nice long drive, gym....just enjoy it.
SOBER!
Old 06-19-2014, 09:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I am in!

Great theme, Ken, and Happy Birthday!

I used to volunteer at Samaritan House, a shelter for women and children victims of domestic violence. I didn't work directly with any of the clients. Instead they had me do some landscaping and minor maintenace at an apartment complex that was used as a source of income for the charity. I think a few of the apartments were occupied by women who had been abused and were trying to get re-established, but I never knew who was who. I did that for the year between my deployments to Africa. It was interesting, but not terribly satisfying. Watching some of the tenants throw their McDonalds bags and beer cans down in the parking lot I had just swept was somewhat grating.

I am currently trying to get a financial planning club going at work. There are a lot of junior military personnel in the building and when I was a junior military person I could have used some unbiased financial advice. Trying to get that going here now. Actually just had a breakthrough this morning - the Executive Officer attended a meeting we had (finally!) and was impressed with the information I presented. I am hoping that translates into an endorsement for more people to attend future meetings.

the weather is ghastly hot! May have to spend the weekend in my pool.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My first weekend on SR, I am totally in. Still formulating my plans for the weekend but for sure I will be checking in.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Good to see the gang.... Olive as shotgun!

Welcome Gottatry to SR and welcome to the weekender thread. Post before you pick up since we are all here to support ya!
Old 06-19-2014, 11:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Room for another one? how we doing Weekenders?!!

I'm settling in for another evening of soccer, I feel like I may beover doing it, sitting in after coming home from work, drinking large volumes of tea and watching TV . . . I guess it could be worse!!

I'm off this weekend, just one more day and it'll be sleep in time, ah the feeling of not setting an alarm, these are the things I live for now, that and hangover free and fresh mornings!!

Welcome to any newcomers, the Weekender thread is where it's at for the weekend, if you're struggling then post, if you're achieving then post, reach out for support if you need it, doing this together is what it's all about!!

Let's do this!!
Old 06-19-2014, 11:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hello, fellow Whee!Kenders!

Happy early birthday to my fellow 1966er Weasel (I don't hit that number for another three months)! I don't have any plans other than watching some baseball and reading and maybe an urban hike or two. Oh--and not drinking.

Let's make this a good whee!kend, y'all!
Old 06-19-2014, 11:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Wow. I love the respite provided through sharing the weekend experience with y'all. Welcome to the Whee!kend, Whee!kenders!!

Last weekend was spent desperately working to get off of the East Coast and into the Midwest. Was successful and spent great time surrounded by lots of true love.

Only to return to my regular life where I desperately work to get all my basic needs met. I have not looked into H.A.L.T. method of recovery, but am aware that being hungry, angry, lonely and tired are all too familiar. Consciously been working on all of this as it totally applies to my general well-being.

Today something in me broke while on the telephone, sorting through a series of miscommunications with an official of my children's school - I was baffled, frustrated and did not hold much back...until I broke. (Hello, Therapist? It's me. We need to talk). After hanging up, I cried for 1/2 hour, snotting into my tee-shirt sleeve. A mini breakdown?

This can be a good thing, I suppose. The reason behind the ongoing challenge in meeting my basic needs eludes me...something had to break some time.

Ah, recovery. Still sober. Totally and completely. Hope to be offering others something soon BTW - YaY upcoming Birthday, Weasel!!

Agreed! Let's make this a great sober weekend!

Old 06-19-2014, 12:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

COWABUNGA!
Old 06-19-2014, 01:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm in. I have a graduation party to attend on Saturday, so a little added accountability doesn't hurt. Hope everyone has a great weekend.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Stand and Be True

I'm in. Got a job interview tomorrow morning, normally I would be crippled with anxiety right now but I actually feel okay. I know I will be nervous as anything beforehand, but I think most people are nervous before something like this.

Nearly 8 months after my last drink I can FINALLY feel some of my anxiety peeling away. My anxiety is not necessarily due to alcohol however that sure did make it much worse.

After my interview got the whole weekend to spend as I please. The weather has been absolutely gorgeous here the last few days (got rather burned today actually) so hopefully that continues.

Have a good one everyone.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

LaTheVerte - I've had two "breakdowns" this week too...I haven't cried like that for a long time. Whew.

I took this picture while I was walking to get my lunch. Into the weekend we go...

Old 06-19-2014, 03:26 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Here it is. I was looking for this.

I just got back from Philly. A two hour drive with the traffic. Took the post office exam. No wonder people call it going postal - one for the colloquialism thread. I registered and just show the next day. People have been registered and studying the test manual for a month. ????? ?????
It was horrible.

Can't wait to see how poorly I dun.
This weekend I finally see the insurance adjuster to find out how much they're going to give me for the car damage from the hail storm. A whole month wait.

Have a soberous weekend everyone.