Notices

looking for help to be a support to my alcoholic partner

Old 06-19-2014, 07:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

looking for help to be a support to my alcoholic partner

Hi
i have been on bedrest for past three months and trying hard to be a support to my husband. I cant even go out and am relying on daily readings on the internet. I think Im too much of an enabler and also co dependent. I feel helpless today as I see him coming home early and drinking again.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Unfortunately there's really nothing you can do to help your partner stop drinking, he will have to decide that for himself. We do have a great forum here on SR for friends and family of alcohlics/addicts that you may want to check out if you are unable to leave home very often. Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

I hope your physical condition improves soon - do you have help for that nearby at all?
Old 06-19-2014, 07:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by maitra View Post
Hi
i have been on bedrest for past three months
Take care of you. Fretting and worrying bout someone else will hinder your own recovery. Unfortunately addiction is a "me" problem...solved by the individual in question.

My mom told me a story a while back about a woman she had known for many years. I guess the man was a heavy drinker...alcoholic I would say. It caused her soooooooooo much grief and she badgered and badgered him to quit drinking endlessly.

She eventually found herself in counselling and the counsellor was able to successfully convey that she couldn't do a damn thing about it and but she had a choice...
Live with it....or leave.

She decided to live with it. She decided to "let it go" and go bout her life. She got busy living and freed up her emotional energy to enjoy what life she could. This completely befuddled her hubby.

And guess what? He gave up drinking....
Old 06-19-2014, 07:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about your condition and wish you well! My wife attends AlaNon and says that it has really helped her. I realize this may not be an option for you right now, but the Friends and Family of Alcoholics here on SR is a great resource! There's even a thread on working the steps in AlaNon! http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ps-alanon.html

All the best and hope you feel better soon!