Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

marijuana and alcohol together.. then there is cocaine. I'm just an adddict.

Notices

Old 06-19-2014, 07:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm on my 6th day sober. The longest I have gone in almost a year. This post is about using a combination of substances. I cannot drink without craving marijuana. If I do drink and don't have pot or can't get pot I get enraged. If I smoke pot without alcohol I get massive anxiety attacks. So really, I'm addicted to being drunk and high. What would that be called? It's like I'm codependent on using the two together. Also, I am over 2 years clean from cocaine and tobacco.

Going broke was what got me off cocaine, plus I owed my dealer a bunch of money so I left town. Now I'm 2 years clean from coke but still have cocaine dreams from time to time, like lastnight, which was the first good sleep I have had since I stopped drinking, aside from the dream. But I woke up feeling rested.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on 6 days. To answer your question, i'd just say you have multiple addictions. It's pretty common.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I only did cocaine a few times but i still have fantasies about it
Old 06-19-2014, 03:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had multiple addictions that fed into each other too.
I'm really glad you've had 6 days with nothing Sero.

Do you have other support besides us, as well?

D
Old 06-19-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I had multiple addictions that fed into each other too.
I'm really glad you've had 6 days with nothing Sero.

Do you have other support besides us, as well?

D
I have one friend and AA. I'm waiting on medicade to start so I can seek some kind of one on one counseling.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was the same way When I got drunk, which was nightly, I loved to toke weed. I rarely had any during the week, but on weekends my friends would be around. These guys ALWAYS had a stash.

Marijuana without alcohol? No way. Some people say it relaxes them. Good for them. It would make me climb the walls.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just stay clean and you'll be all right. And the dreams are normal. I've quit smoking 10 years ago and still have dreams in which I smoke. That's just normal.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Never liked drugs much. I was able to stop very early. Put a Guinness in front of me though and it's white on rice.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I had issued with drugs in general, for some reason drinking was the hardest to kick. I've since accepted that I just have an addictive personality, but that's ok. You can turn that into a positive, that personality can make you excel when you put your mind to the right things. You're an all or nothing guy, just be all in on the right stuff.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yeah, when I was trying to quit drinking in the fall, I figured I'd take up smoking weed again (I did a lot in high school and a fair amount in college, but maybe four times a year since college).

Well, I found out pretty quickly that just smoking gave me big anxiety issues that I'd need to settle with alcohol.

Strangely, if I smoke with friends, I can get by with just the high and enjoy conversations and laughing at stupid TV. If I smoke alone, I get super anxiety ridden and need to drink. Similarly, if I started drinking alone, I started craving weed more and more.

I think I'm less addicted to weed and can use "socially," unlike alcohol, but smoking at home at night is not something I'm gonna do anymore.