Notices

Day 2: So far so good

Old 06-18-2014, 10:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2: So far so good

Yesterday was a rough day with the hangover and guilt. Today feels better but there is still some anxiety and guilt that I am working to let go of.

I seen members asking newbies if they had a plan. Well to be honest I don't. I figured joining this site would be a good start and I would move on from there. I am not willing/or ready for AA but I am open for any alternatives or what you all had as a plan for recovery.

My story. I am married/been together for 26 years, the majority of which, we have been been drinkers, we have "slowed" down here and there and the wife has tried to get me to quit with her but I always went behind her back to drink secretly, and we both eventually ended up back at square one.

Now I am more committed and she is not ready, I have not actually talked to her about my desire to quit for good but am committed for my sake and hers.

I know she knows I am trying to slow down as I have managed to not drink at least 2-4 days a week for the last 2-3 months which for me is a big deal. But I have not talked to her about my wanting to quit for good.

I just feel bad about all the times I let her down when she took the lead to get us to quit, I feel I have to grounds to be the one to ask here to quit with me.

So I'm going solo but am glad I found this site.

Any other couples who are going through recovery together or independent of their significant-other?
Old 06-18-2014, 11:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great job on Day 2!! . . . it's early days yet, my first week there wasn't much of a plan, I went to work, came home and crashed, watched TV and went to bed, the main thing at the start is clocking up the Sober days.

There are non AA methods of recovery if AA isn't your thing, there are links on the Forum:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

Keep pushing through!!
Old 06-18-2014, 11:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on Day 2 Gottatry. I personally would have never made it to where I am now if I hadn't shared my intentions to get sober with my wife. However, my wife was only a very occasinaly drinker so it's a different dynamic. But if you did tell her you are trying to cut back, I can't see her having a problem with you quitting for good. Honestly is the best tool I've found in many situations i've faced sober.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi gottatry, for me I visited this site and read the many experiences and trials and tribulations of many people and I felt I belonged as I could and can relate to so many others lives.

I wrote and ranted when needing support and always someone pulled me up, shook me off and hopefully I have helped, aided some folk, too.

Hopefully, when your wife sees how you're doing it may spur her on to join you in your sobriety.