Notices

My second attempt at this...

Old 06-18-2014, 03:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My second attempt at this...

Managed to get 5 months from last year then in March, got smart and left my sponsor.

Drinking got progressively worse, and then an ultimate climax in a holiday in Ibiza with mates. Drank heavily all the way up to it which peaked in my drinking so much one day that my mates thought I was dead. Kept drinking after that, just to allow me to try and get home. mates hid my wallet on the flight home so that I couldnt keep drinking.

Got back home, kept drinking then on Monday after a few cans, decided that I couldnt do this anymore. I'd been in contact with my AA friends so knew I had to get back - only this time I appreciate that it's not a choice whether to drink or not - it's a choice of life or death.

Now going through withdrawal - Monday was real bad, needed librium. Still ended up with what I think was a bit of the DTs. Yesterday was slightly better then by around dinnertime back to being terrible again.

Managed to get a sleep last night, woke up today feeling like I had ZERO energy, but calmer at least. Now just feeling dizzy, eyesight not the best, but lying in bed trying to drink lots of water, managed to eat some rice and getting some vit C and a multi vit in me.

Only thing keeping me going now is that I know it gets better eventually and I've got a life of sobriety to look forward to.

Anyways, was feeling sh*t and wanted to join us here to meet some more friend in recover, so it's nice to meet you all.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Realising my life

A very warm welcome from down south, GlasgowLad You've made a great decision in joining here - you're definitely amongst friends :

Anf it definitely does get better
Old 06-18-2014, 04:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

HI. Good you are able to get back. It is strongly suggested, whether we want to or not, to seek medical help as this period of time can be very dangerous = deadly.

BE WELL
Old 06-18-2014, 05:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!! You'll find loads of support here!!
Old 06-18-2014, 07:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hiya and welcome!!

Iam sure that you will find all the support you need here.

I am from near Glasgow as well. . . nice to meet a fellow Scot on here. ;-)
Old 06-18-2014, 07:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IOAA2 View Post
HI. Good you are able to get back. It is strongly suggested, whether we want to or not, to seek medical help as this period of time can be very dangerous = deadly.

BE WELL
Hi. I called NHS24 and they went through a serious of questions. Only resulted in my being advised and prescribed librium. Which I'm taking.

Feel awful though, going through the peaks and troughs. I'm the type who needs instant relief though, but guess that's not gonna happen!
Old 06-18-2014, 07:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by GlasgowLad View Post
I'm the type who needs instant relief though, but guess that's not gonna happen!
Yeah, it's a harsh reality - and one of the main reasons many of us drank - we wanted that instant solution to our problems ( which of course drinking is not ). Stay strong, it does get better...the first few days can be rough though.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Yeah, it's a harsh reality - and one of the main reasons many of us drank - we wanted that instant solution to our problems ( which of course drinking is not ). Stay strong, it does get better...the first few days can be rough though.
Thanks mate. Day 2 today and it's tough. Will get there though, managed it before so I'm convincing myself I can do it again. I need to - can't go on as a drinker.

Stupid thing is I love my period of sobriety. It's all just insane.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome, SR is a great place for support. Glad you've joined us.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Totally relate to what you said about loving the sobriety! I got quite fit and stopped drinking and smoking and felt like a machine!

Now I am far from it and on a similar journey to you.

Good luck from the other side of the planet
Old 06-18-2014, 10:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kiwifella View Post
Totally relate to what you said about loving the sobriety! I got quite fit and stopped drinking and smoking and felt like a machine!

Now I am far from it and on a similar journey to you.

Good luck from the other side of the planet
Thanks fella, best of luck to you too. You'll get there again and beyond that!
Old 06-18-2014, 01:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome! This board has helped me a lot. You'll learn many things about alcoholism and how to kick the habit
Old 06-18-2014, 05:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome GlasgowLad
yeah I think we get used to instant gratification.

I liked the instant relief of alcohol - but even that stopped working after a while....

I think you need to prepare to suffer a little bit for a little while - but tyr and think of it as growth. I'm way more patient than I used to be

D