Where Your Attention Goes

Old 06-18-2014, 03:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Where Your Attention Goes

Where your attention goes

Where your attention goes is where your life will follow. Where is your attention going most of the time?

Is your attention consumed with resentment, judgment, envy and spite? Where do you think those things will lead your life?

Do you put so much attention on proving you’re right that you end up with nothing left with which to accomplish? Imagine letting most of that go, and freeing your attention for more positive and valuable pursuits.

There are so many beautiful possibilities for authentic and lasting fulfillment. Those are the things that deserve the power of your attention.

You can decide in this moment, and in every moment, to let go of the fear, let go of the worry, let go of the anger and let in life’s delightful richness. Turn your attention toward those things that make life a joy to live.

You can choose where your attention goes, and where your life in turn will follow. No matter what you may have chosen in the past, right now is when you can choose the best.

— Ralph Marston
Old 06-18-2014, 03:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

How I live today depends mostly on my frame of mind.

If I decide to notice the beauty that surrounds me, to smile at people I pass while going about my business and if I take small moments to collect my thoughts before "reacting" to what happens around me...my day will probably be pretty good.

If I decide that it's raining and that my list of errands and "things to do" is far too long and that I will probably be exhausted before the day is over...I probably will follow the path to exhaustion or frustration before the day is finished. Or worst, I will procrastinate and leave a larger load to carry tomorrow.

I have decided to put my attention on handling my tasks this morning, maybe into afternoon and finish them all and then come home and take a walk in nature, rain or shine, and renew my spirit.

How my day goes will depend on where I put my attention. How my day goes will depend on my attitude and my choices to see the beauty in the day or the tedium...it all depends on my perspective.

How about you? Where will you put your attention today?

Hugs
Old 06-18-2014, 03:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My attention today is on gratitude.

Yesterday I bought a new car. I am actually proud of myself for the first time in many years. I have never bought a new car.

It is because of the people in AA and the steps of AA that I was able to accomplish that and with only a small amount of anxiety.

So Grateful! and its RED...LOL
Old 06-18-2014, 04:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Ohhh, sounds wonderful. First new cars are special, often the result of hard work and planning.

And living a day in gratitude is a great way to keep your attention on the positive.

Hugs
Old 06-18-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GracieLou View Post
My attention today is on gratitude.

Yesterday I bought a new car. I am actually proud of myself for the first time in many years. I have never bought a new car.

It is because of the people in AA and the steps of AA that I was able to accomplish that and with only a small amount of anxiety.

So Grateful! and its RED...LOL
================================================== ====
GracieLou,

Wow! That's fantastic! There is something about a new set of wheels.
You know by now that there will be naysayers of every stripe who will
go on and on and on (AND ON!) ..... about how you should NEVER buy new,
depreciation....blah...blah....blah.

Don't you believe it! There's something about going first class----
a declaration to the world that SOMEONE is not taking the path of least
resistance any more.

If I see a brand new car, a red one...go by-----(nobody gives a damn
what kind of car---brand new is brand new!)

.......I will feign disinterest ......to hide my envy....but it's bullcrap,
and everybody knows it.

You SHOULD be proud....DAMNED PROUD. Now you have an unmistakable
RED signal to the world that says......

"I will accept hind teat no more".

In time the newness will fade----but the statement you made to the world

............never will.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Vale, you never fail to make me smile. That was a wonderful share!
Old 06-18-2014, 07:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wonderful reminders , as always, Ann. Your posts always help me to re-route, if I am headed down instead of up

And yes, that is an awesome thing, Gracie Lou! a new car, a new RED car.. enjoy it, you deserve to!
Old 06-18-2014, 07:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

A new red car says "I am taking care of me and allowing myself to have fun."

We should all have new red cars, I love the concept.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

My very first new car was red. A little 5 speed! Oh, how I loved that car!!

I think my next car will be red too and only a 2 seater. Room for me and my packages.

Oh Vale, you handsome devil, may I please borrow your CC again.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

My first car was a beige Valiant, a push button automatic (only the oldsters here will remember them).

I had to choose between a baby blue Pontiac Parisienne convertible with terrible mileage and running rough or the beige Valiant that had low mileage and ran well.

I knew then that I would lead a beige Valiant kind of life, lol, but not anymore. Today I am all about brand spanking new red cars.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My attention today is on my luck and gratitude. The last couple days have been pouring my heart out to friends who I'd briefly left neglected while absorbed in trying to help my AXBF. They have all been there with constant calls and skypes and texts and planning tickets to come visit as soon as they can.

I went to the gym and watched the World Cup and ate ice cream. There is still love & color & happiness to be found. I'm not capable of feeling it all yet, but I'm so, so grateful it's there.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Tonight was a beautiful night with a comfortable breeze. I sat and watched some dolphins chase a school of fish. Such beautiful animals. It was so peaceful and I felt so thankful to have some really wonderful friends and a loving, faithful God.

My life is changing and I am grateful......finally.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the wonderful comments. I love my new car. So Zippy!

I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee. It was a dog and horrible on gas.

Originally Posted by Ann View Post
Pontiac Parisienne
I had one of these! 1984, it was a tank! I loved it though. It was a classic and laid out in its day. Power everything and velour seats. That thing was solid.

When I bought this car I was telling the car inspection guy about it and he never heard of it. I don't think they were very common.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LoveMeNow View Post
My very first new car was red. A little 5 speed! Oh, how I loved that car!!

I think my next car will be red too and only a 2 seater. Room for me and my packages.

Oh Vale, you handsome devil, may I please borrow your CC again.
================================================== ========
Vale(preening his feathers excessively) replies.....

Yes, I AM a handsome devil----but just got my quals updated
via an addiction inspired refresher course in boundary control.

Sooooooooooo.....as graciously and gently as an old world gentleman
of the first order can intimate.......

ix-nay on the credit card-----

(and GracieLou.....you zip away, enjoy your red baby----and rejoice
.......and we rejoice with you!)
Old 06-19-2014, 03:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Today my attention is on gratitude also, that my doctor's appointment is just a regular checkup and that the drive to his office is through lovely country and mountain nature (We didn't change doctors when we moved because we like the one we have). I shall enjoy the beauty and the peace.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Enjoy the scenic ride!

Today I am on hope. It was the topic at last nights meeting. I had hope from the start but it grows. I remember when I heard "the first drink gets me drunk" and it made sense. I had heard it many times but it just didn't click. The day it clicked, I got more hope.

That is how it works for me. When I get something that has seemed to be out of my reach, I have a little more hope cause once I see it, I can't unsee it. I get it and that gives me hope that I am moving forward.

HOPE = HOLD ON PAIN ENDS
Old 06-19-2014, 06:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
My attention, in a little more than an hour, will be on hitting a little white ball a long, long ways. After that, my attention will be on getting ready for band practice tonight.

In other words, I'm focusing on my life.

FORE!!
Old 06-19-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Learned to drive in a Parisienne...after that I thought I should be certified for just about any vehicle. Followed that up with...a CHEVETTE. Can you say different world? I'm 40 and I've driven two models my friends have never even heard of!

Kudos to those of you living today. Keep driving!
Old 06-19-2014, 07:55 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you Ann for sharing! Gracielou congratulations on your new car! I hope you are enjoying all the fun of having a brand spanking new car.............and red!! I love the smell of a new car. Nothing like it!
Thanks for the laughs as well. Nothing better than a good laugh. I am keeping positive thoughts as much as possible. When anything negative tries to come into my head I try and beat it down............or I eat ice cream.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:05 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ann View Post
If I decide that it's raining and that my list of errands and "things to do" is far too long and that I will probably be exhausted before the day is over...I probably will follow the path to exhaustion or frustration before the day is finished. Or worst, I will procrastinate and leave a larger load to carry tomorrow.
I want you to know that I've been steadily whittling down my to do list today, because of your post that I read this morning. I had fully intended to blow off at least half of it but now I'm almost done.

Thank you