Notices

Question!

Old 06-17-2014, 08:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question!

I'd like to put pictures on my little profile just cause there's an option to but I was wondering if any of you feel the need to stay semi anonymous on here?.. I'm almost certain nobody I know would ever need to be on this website and I don't necessarily feel ashamed about the fact that I want to better myself. I obviously put an actual picture of myself for my profile picture but I see a lot of people with random pictures so I just wanted some opinions on whether or not you think it's more for pictures of quotes and or motivational photos or personal.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

it's up to you, just remember it's the internet, nothing is private on the internet. Anyone with the skills can grab and use it I think. I would not post my photo, but that's just me.
I posted a picture of my brain. - perfect isn't it?

It's for whatever your heart desires, taking modesty and common decency into consideration of course. I think.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hahahaha yes I doubt anyone will recognize you by your brain. Good advice though, I'll just stick with the one picture for now.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Unless you set it as 'open to anyone' profile views are limited to other SR members.
But yeah the usual internet safety rules apply

D
Old 06-18-2014, 05:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good to know Dee!!
Old 06-18-2014, 05:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Scary that what you put on the internet stays for life TThey have companies that can screen all off you activity and ste visits no matter what. No more privacy. I wanted to upload some pics of the kids but became paranoid about. Its scary some companies actually use this in recruiting as well.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Commercially available facial recognition software can match the pic of your face here to just about any other pic of you on the interet. So, for example, if you had a facebook account with pics of you, your identity here could be matched to that facebook profile using a pic of you here.

Why anyone would want to do that, I am not sure, but the technology exists and is becoming more available.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Part of the reason that it took me years to get into recovery was that I didn't want the stigma of being called an 'alcoholic' or 'addict'. For years I ran from recovery because of that when all along I was only getting worse and everyone but me could see it. Actually, looking back I could see it, but didn't want to admit it. I wish I had knew some really cool and normal people who were in recovery, but all I ever saw was the few 'old timers' whom some really didn't seem that happy at the few meetings I was court ordered to attend when I was younger. If 'recovery' wasn't such a taboo and secretive subject maybe more people would seek the help they need and actually survive this disease!

Now that I've surrendered to my higher power and am in AA I have no intentions of being anonymous! I honor the traditions of AA and what I see and hear in a meeting I let stay at the meeting, but for my personal life I tell all who will listen that I'm in recovery and I let my life and actions speak for themselves as I try and show that people in long term recovery are happy, loving and normal people! Maybe, just maybe one life can be saved by my willingness to be open about my disease.

There seems to be a new movement in Hollywood and around the world of people coming out of the 'recovery closet' and I applaud it! There's been enough of the glorifying addiction and it's high-time people start sharing their experience and success in recovery!

Thus, I share pictures, stories and my experience everywhere and every chance I get!

If you get a chance check out the movie called: "The Anonymous People"
The Anonymous People
Old 06-18-2014, 06:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My name is not GracieLou nor is my avatar a picture of the real me, shocking I know.

If they develop canine mug recognition software then I may be discovered!
Old 06-18-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Eliza, I've been on several forum sites in the past. I would suggest you read the sticky thread under the forum that talks about internet predators.

The internet is only as safe as you make it for yourself.

Anyone with internet access can see these forums...I've removed pictures of myself from anywhere in forums that are accessible to the gen pop.

Dee, I did not know that about profile pages. Interesting.

ultradad, I loved that recovery movie, "Anonymous People". It's streaming on Netflix now.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GracieLou View Post
My name is not GracieLou nor is my avatar a picture of the real me, shocking I know. If they develop canine mug recognition software then I may be discovered!

Hahahahahaha that was amazing.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I would put a photo of myself up happily, for I couldn't give two s***s what people think about me. However I do commercial writing on the side and it could potentially undermine the reputation of my business were someone to uncover that I am an alcoholic.

Shame really.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That's all very interesting... I actually used to have a Facebook for years and had someone use all my photos as their own... It was pretty wild, I tried reporting them but eventually just stopped worrying too much cause smart people would be able to sense the sketchiness of that profile.

Ultradad I do agree a lot with you and actually, your story is inspiring. I'm also so new to the whole admitting I have a problem thing, not gonna lie, it was weird saying "...and I'm an alcoholic" at my first meeting but I would like to get to where you are in being openly proud of the steps I've taken.

Thank you all so much, I think I'll wait it out and maybe one day share a few pics of this baby of mine that turned out so beautiful I sometimes wonder if he's really mine
Old 06-18-2014, 06:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

I'm not pretty enough to post my pics.

Though I may get bold enough to do it eventually.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

What were they using your photos for?
Old 06-18-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

being honest here
looking at your pic you look a very pretty girl and years ago i wouldnt be bothered by anything you would say i would just want to have a relationship with you or marry you next week as you look so pretty and i am sure in my head it would all be wonderful and you would be so lucky to have me to take care of you lol

all that from just looking at a pic ??? but thats how i was years ago
today i am nothing like that

but as there is so much young soberity about aroung the internet i can bet many people who will read my post will be living just like i once did. they will look at your pic and want to marry you next week lol

so the message gets lost in my eyes but thats just my own personal opinion of putting pics in a profile
so i would rather just type up my rubbish and if it makes seance to anyone or helps anyone then thats good

as all they can do is just read my posts and not be distracted by a pic

ps
not i that i would expect to put a pic up of me and have all the women chasing me or wanting to marry me lol, ut i do find it different for the women who do get chased around in aa meetings by the charming lot of reformed drunk who are anything but reformed lol
Old 06-18-2014, 07:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

On second thoughts I wouldn't put a picture of me up for fear my googly mug would send people into relapse =)
Old 06-18-2014, 07:18 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by eliza24 View Post

I'd like to put pictures on my little profile just cause there's an option to but I was wondering if any of you feel the need to stay semi anonymous on here?
Seems that in these days and times especially on the internet we should all be very careful what we put out there for the world to see. And yes we should always remember these things shared may well be around till the end of time. Keep your employers, friends, sons, daughters, grandchildren and great-grandchildren in mind at all times.

One only has to watch Dr. Phil for a short time to see that many have been deeply harmed by over exposer on the internet. At times due to their own fault and at other times ex boyfriends or ex girlfriends trying to get back at them.

Not to forget the stalkers.

Please take all of the above into account.

example
I'm up top the mountain (of many mountains)

Mountainman
Old 06-18-2014, 07:26 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
Seems that in these days and times especially on the internet we should all be very careful what we put out there for the world to see. And yes we should always remember these things shared may well be around till the end of time. Keep your employers, friends, sons, daughters, grandchildren and great-grandchildren in mind at all times.

One only has to watch Dr. Phil for a short time to see that many have been deeply harmed by over exposer on the internet. At times due to their own fault and at other times ex boyfriends or ex girlfriends trying to get back at them.

Not to forget the stalkers.

Please take all of the above into account.

example
I'm up top the mountain (of many mountains)

Mountainman
lol bob i had to give up watching dr phil as i would end up arguing with the tv when he was on so i i had to simply turn it off and enjoy the peace i have without it : )

i have almost given up tv as i can not watch a show that will feed my hunger to be right all the time
the problem is me of course and how i am right all the time lol

but its just part of my daily medicine i have to take to enjoy a peace in my life
Old 06-18-2014, 08:43 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrBen View Post
What were they using your photos for?
My internet photos were 'lifted' and now Calvin Klein uses them in some of their ad campaigns.