Notices

TtAPERING

Old 06-17-2014, 06:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

TtAPERING

Is what I am doing on the advice of the doctor I saw at A&E yesterday .....post avaliable for read

All I know is am FAR down on my units as I drank a litre of gin yesterday and by god one smell of that stuff would send me heaving

I know its not ideal and last night I had every intention of quitting today but this morning I thought the end was near

only got 2 more cans and then an half way ........ringing my gp tomorrow any advice ????

Mike xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 06-17-2014, 07:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Best of luck to you. It can work if you have the willpower to make it work. I didn't and failed miserably at it, as you can see chronicled in this thread:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-tapering.html
Old 06-17-2014, 07:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Not sure exactly what you are asking - did your doctor recommend tapering? Overall most people aren't able to taper as you'll find by reading other threads on the subject.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

yes the doctor at casualty (A&E) said taper and am trying just not sure how much to taper and when to stop xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 06-17-2014, 07:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by mje124 View Post
yes the doctor at casualty (A&E) said taper and am trying just not sure how much to taper and when to stop xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
That's probably a question for your doctor to be honest. You said you are seeing your regular doctor tomorrow?
Old 06-17-2014, 07:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Some people can & some people can't. I'm one of the lucky ones who finds it quite easy to taper but I normally use wine as I can't stand beer!! Even in an emergency I still wouldn't drink beer.. I used to to just take a sip when the withdrawals started to kick in & that normally lasted for an hour or so until the next sip but we are all different.. I'm sure you will get more replies with other peoples regimes. Best of luck..
Old 06-17-2014, 07:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I think it's important to remember that this is the newcomers forum - and medical advice is not to be asked for or given. If the OP has received instructions from his doctor he should follow it. Don't forget that tapering is really just drinking less than usual as well - and the newcomers forum isn't a place where we should be promoting or recommending drinking in any quantity.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes, sorry, I agree with Scott. If I had it my way I really would have gone to rehab given the chance. The safest choice is to go see your doctor. I was afraid to go and see my doctor because I was ashamed and afraid to tell her. Sorry I didn't mean to promote tapering at all since it doesn't really work for most people.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

thanks all for your replies and I am sorry for this post if it causes people to think tapering is ok ..............NO it is not I want rid of the poison out of me but ATM I don't have the stength or willpower to do it ...........i am only doing this under advice and will be contacting my GP tomorrow to try and end this hell ................again sorry xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 06-17-2014, 08:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

thanks all for your replies and I am sorry for this post if it causes people to think tapering is ok ..............NO it is not I want rid of the poison out of me but ATM I don't have the stength or willpower to do it ...........i am only doing this under advice and will be contacting my GP tomorrow to try and end this hell ................again sorry xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Don't be sorry and hang in there you ll get a lot of support on SR
I am not a fan of tapering but I understand that for some heavy drinkers with no medical insurance and limited $$ it might be the only option. Since it seems like you can afford to go to the doctor, why take the harder more dangerous route?
When you talk to your GP be completely honest about how much you drink so s/he can evaluate your risk of seizure and prescribe the appropriate med for you to help you through the shakes and other withdrawal symptom safely.

Last edited by Dee74; 06-17-2014 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I'm going to fall back on some of the answers posted yesterday, and suggest that you consider an in-patient detox and rehab.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Coldfusion i thank you for your advice and concern but can I just say we live in diffferent countries

In the states there could be detox walking centres on every corner I don't know and if there was one here I would be in it

Don't know this insurance ???????? Here everything is free but you have to go through the right channels ie see you GP referall etc and then hope at some point you see someone

Its called the NHS and you can't wave money at it

Sorry

mike
Old 06-17-2014, 09:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

In the states there could be detox walking centres on every corner I don't know and if there was one here I would be in it
Actually, I live on a somewhat remote island. I had to fly to another county for a detox program, and when my wife went to rehab it was an all-day trip to get there.

The point I was trying to make in my previous post was to suggest that you consider getting help detoxing and for staying sober. It' might make sense to consider these things before you see your doctor, so you can ask the right questions.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

my aopologies Coldfusion am here to make friends not enemies forgive me am not in the best place at the moment but lashing out at caring good people is not right xxx
Old 06-17-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Mike, while I don't agree with it, it's common for UK doctors to suggest tapering.
From my outside view, it's a reflection of the burdens on your health service I think.

Please do consult with your Dr if you have any concerns, problems or questions
D
__________________________________________________ _______________________________

I removed some posts that ignored our Rule 10 on med advice, guys

Here is the SR Rule in full....

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
I understand that all who shared are well meaning and trying to help - however what happened to you and how you overcame it may not be suitable for others, and may well keep someone else from seeking the professional assistance they need.

We are a peer support group here. We simply cannot give medical advice. You need to see a medical professional for that.

Thanks for your understanding

Dee
SR