Courage To Change: 06/16/14

Old 06-16-2014, 11:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Courage To Change: 06/16/14

In Al-Anon we talk a lot about the need to let others experience the consequences of their actions. We know that most alcoholics have to hit a “bottom” and become uncomfortable with their own behavior before they can effectively do something about it. Those of us who love alcoholics often have to learn to get out of the way of this bottom. We learn to detach with love. Another reason for detachment with love may be
equally important in building healthy, loving, respectful relationships. Many of us have interfered not only witha loved one’s problems but also with their achievements. I may have the best of intentions, but if I take over other people’s responsibilities, I may rob them of the chance to accomplish something and to feel good about what they’ve done. Although I am trying to help, my actions may be communicating a lack of respect for my loved ones’ abilities. When I detach with love, I offer support by freeing those I care about to experience both their own satisfactions and disappointments.

Today’s Reminder
I am learning the difference between help and interference.Today I will examine the way I offer support.

“Detachment did not mean disinterest . . .. I considered detachment ‘respect for another’s personhood.’”
Al-Anon Faces Alcoholism
Old 06-16-2014, 11:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

"I may have the best of intentions, but if I take over other people’s responsibilities, I may rob them of the chance to accomplish something and to feel good about what they’ve done. Although I am trying to help, my actions may be communicating a lack of respect for my loved ones’ abilities."

This was such a revelation for me. Never did this point of view occur to me. When I manage to bear this in mind, everyone benefits from my keeping my hands off of what is not my business to begin with.

Good reading today, for sure.