Notices

hello im new

Old 06-15-2014, 01:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hello im new

Hello im just wanting some advice as i think i may becoming or i am alcohol dependant i am 25 years old ive been drinking more or less everyday for the past 3 years it started from being depressed and board and now ive got my life back on track i cant seem to break the habbit the last couple of weeks its spprirled out of control normally i have 4 cans of weak beer aday about 4.5% but now i am drinking at least 12 cans of larger a day its not strong about 4% i never have a beer before 5 oclock in the afternoon ive just orderd a 20 pack of beers what will last me 2 days maybe 3 ive been under alot of stress from family recently as well and finally im out of the house and got my own place i reallly need to stop drinking so much on a night its taking its toll on me . Forgot to mention i go all out on the weekends drinking about 12 pints friday satday i drink loads of water and eat good as well my hangover minimul to none at all and evwn when i have a hamgover i am ablw to over come by ignoring how i feel let me no what you think cheers for viewing
Old 06-15-2014, 01:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR. Why do you think it is difficult for you to stop drinking? What happens when you try not to drink?
Old 06-15-2014, 01:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

The problem with addiction is it can be progressive, 12 cans a day and drinking every day for the last 3 years does sound excessive, but it all comes down to whether you are able to stop for a period of time or whether you've become dependant, what would happen if you didn't drink for a week?

Also is it starting to affect your life, your job, relationships, health, for me when I realised alcohol was detrimentally affecting my life, it was time to make a change for the better!!

You'll find loads of support here on SR!!
Old 06-15-2014, 01:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thats the thing im from a town where drinking everyday is considerd the norm i occinally have days off im not really botherd about it but recently we have one of the highest binge drinking percentages in the UK thers nothing really to do but go out and drink but i tend to stay in and get drunk
Old 06-15-2014, 01:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It does affect me mentally with anxiety and stress
Old 06-15-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well if you want a direct answer, yes, you have a problem, especially given how you have come here, posted your concerns and then minimized the problem with lots of ifs and buts. You can wait, like me, until you have drunk and pissed your life away or you can decide to do something about it now and live a happier and more productive life than the average boozer ever does. Your choice - and lots of support to be had here!

Nothing personal - I hate alcoholism with a vengeance these days. I have a lot of time for alcoholics though!
Old 06-15-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for your directness ! Yeah i think i have a problem i reallly need to cut it down and then completly stop but to be honest i enjoy a beer i just dont like drinking hevily
Old 06-15-2014, 01:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My problem though is I couldn't stop at 1 beer or 1 glass, I needed to polish of that 12 pack or that bottle, so my only option was to be Sober.

You need to work out what works for you but many on this site are similar, stopping at 1 beer was impossible, which I guess is part of the definition of problem drinking!!
Old 06-15-2014, 02:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alco122 View Post
Thanks for your directness ! Yeah i think i have a problem i reallly need to cut it down and then completly stop but to be honest i enjoy a beer i just dont like drinking hevily
If you don't address the issue the chances are you won't have a choice about drinking heavily. It will take over your life. It might even kill you. Might not of course, but the odds are not good.

Alcohol addiction really is about life and death very often.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What would happen if i completly stopped for a week ? When i went to the doctors he said it would send me loopy and gave me some antidepressants witch i thought was quite strange is there anything i can ask for to hep with symtoms ? I want to know if i can do a week sober
Old 06-15-2014, 02:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Sometimes a benzo is prescribed to help with withdrawal and avoid seizures. It also helps calm the w/d anxiety. Ask your doctor. I don't know why they would prescribe antidepressants for w/d...
Old 06-15-2014, 02:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ok im going to book myself in at the doctors and tell him what the score is i really do feel as though ive become more dependant then i thought im going to give this my 100% ill keep you all updated. Im not saying i will completly stop i just want to stop drinking through the week.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

What would happen if i completly stopped for a week ? When i went to the doctors he said it would send me loopy and gave me some antidepressants witch i thought was quite strange is there anything i can ask for to hep with symtoms ? I want to know if i can do a week sober
(Edit: Written before your last post) Personally I have stopped dead a good few times without medication (benzos) to deal with withdrawal but it is not sensible if you are at all worried. There is a policy here in any case that nobody gives medical advice and I shan't do that.

If you have been to the doctors about your concerns about drinking then clearly there is a problem of some sort you may decide you want to address.

One piece of pseudo medical advice - or at least an opinion - I would share is that alcohol is very often the cause of depression whereas many heavy drinkers blame their drinking on the desire to combat it - that is relieves it in some way. Given that alcohol is actually a depressant this is self delusion on a dangerous scale.

if you want to quit - and it would be so very much easier now than after a few more years, why not see your doctor again and explain you really want to stop and ask him or her to help you.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Sometimes a benzo is prescribed to help with withdrawal and avoid seizures. It also helps calm the w/d anxiety. Ask your doctor. I don't know why they would prescribe antidepressants for w/d...
The last time I went to the Doctors for help all she offered me was Prozac & Thiamine.. She laughed when I mentioned Benzos!! The fact that I was shaking like a leaf, sweating, heart pounding, major panic attacks!! I am in the UK & Docs over here are not so keen in giving out Benzos.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

They can spot addicts at ten yards!
Old 06-15-2014, 02:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Im not worried about anything apart from my health i started drinking to deal with stress i know what my problems are i drink from boardem and stress i do not suffer from depression anymore ive dealt with that and im going to find out what the best way to go about it personally i hate taking medication for my problems and often refused to acsept them in the past ive been offerd theopry but refused that because i dont need it i know my problem is alcohol i know its affecta on the mind and body btw mind my bad spelling im using my mobile to post to the forum and its pretty hard to use on s4 lol i am sober i intend to have 4 cans of beer thwn go to aleep
Old 06-15-2014, 02:39 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good stuff Alco122. All the very best!

However just to add to my comments above, drinking can relieve stress in the very short term but the action of alcohol on the brain chemistry slowly erodes the brain's own mechanism for handling stress. The end result is that you actually experience more stress overall - and if you become heavily dependent almost intolerable stress results. The antidote then of course is more booze. the cycle goes on.

For people who are naturally a bit prone to anxiety and stress alcohol sometimes becomes an easily available and of course legal way to apparently handle and cope with stress. But it just sets up an awful merrygoround. Far better to find alternative means of dealing with it.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Then do it ! And see what happens! You are 25 assuming you are in fair physical condition, I am sure you could handle it without pills. You say you don't have problems with anxiety so why bother with the pills. Not trying to be a wise guy , but I am 58 and drank a bit more than you for about 37 years longer and I managed to stop. God I wish I had stopped at 25! I'd be driving my life away on the road in one of my tractor-trailers seeing the country, did it for 25 years drunk most of the time and saw nothing but squinting at the white line to keep the shiny side up ! Do yourself a big favor and find a new hobby! Stay Strong and Well ! Bobby
Old 06-15-2014, 03:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Amazingglazier View Post
Then do it ! And see what happens! You are 25 assuming you are in fair physical condition, I am sure you could handle it without pills. You say you don't have problems with anxiety so why bother with the pills. Not trying to be a wise guy , but I am 58 and drank a bit more than you for about 37 years longer and I managed to stop. God I wish I had stopped at 25! I'd be driving my life away on the road in one of my tractor-trailers seeing the country, did it for 25 years drunk most of the time and saw nothing but squinting at the white line to keep the shiny side up ! Do yourself a big favor and find a new hobby! Stay Strong and Well ! Bobby
Thanks Bobby for the reply yeah i agree i need a new hobby **** my friends and what they want to do to pass the time. As of tomorrow im going to make some massive life changes as it is all my problems are related to alcohol its a waste of life ill keep you all updatd on my progress to a better life style but as you said i am only 25 im not going to completly stop im just never going to let it get out of control like this again.

Thank you all for your time and advise i wish you all luck in living a good life.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:30 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Alco

Then do it ! And see what happens! You are 25 assuming you are in fair physical condition, I am sure you could handle it without pills.
If you're suggesting stopping cold turkey Bobby this is really bad advice.
Age is no guarantee of anything.

As someone who had a really bad detox and is left with a lot of health problems because of that, I really urge you to see a Dr, Alco, and be honest with them about your problem.

They may prescribe meds, depending on what they think you need, or they may not, but the important thing is you'll have had professional medical advice.

D