Notices

Feel like i cant

Old 06-14-2014, 10:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feel like i cant

Feel like I cant keep this sobriety up! day 24 and I just wanna drink now, not even sure if I WANT sobriety! Might continue on to 30 days just to say that ive done a month but then I think il more than likely drink. This just doesn't seem like something I want!
Old 06-14-2014, 10:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I hope that you change your mind at 30 days, chilledice. The true, sustaining and healing benefits of sobriety aren't felt early on; I truly hope you stick with it and with SR. (On the flip side, the negative effects of alcohol can come at you fast).
Old 06-14-2014, 10:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I understand.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Would this guy agree?

Hi guys, Not sure where to start really! I am 27 years old male and for the last 18 months i have been drinking heavily every day, around 6 pints of beer atleast and sometimes a few double whiskey's on top! I really feel like it is time to stop the drinking and try and get my life back on track, the only problem for me is i have an emotional dependancy on alcohol, the reason as to why i drink so much is to cover up hurts ( bad break up 18 months ago ) I have tried during this year and a half to quit but i only manage to get past day 1 and then i am back on the bottle again because i just cant deal with my reality. I was such a handsome guy ( i hope i dont sound arrogant ) but now i just look dreadfull!!! I have dark circles under my eyes, my eyelids are swollen up and my skin colour just looks a deathy pale white! i DONT look the same from 18 months ago! Anyways just wondering if there are any tips or advice you guys can give me to help me quit for good? Oh and also if i do manage to stop drinking, will the dark circles go? It really does bother me and has knocked my confidence big time!
Sometimes it's good to go back and read old posts, if you read back, you'll see your reasons for quitting, the good feelings you had being Sober, I understand your feeling down today, but that may only be for today, tomorrow you may feel different.

All I know is alcohol won't improve life, it won't achieve all those things you set out to achieve by starting out on the road of Sobriety!!

You can do this!!
Old 06-14-2014, 10:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree with SoberLeigh. Make it to 30 days and see how you feel. I bet you'll want to get to 60 days then, and then 90 and so forth. The early days are the hardest, it does get better and much easier if you give it time. Unfortunately every time you drink you reset the clock, and it does NOT make it easier to quit next time. I speak from experience on that. On the flip side, the longer you stay sober the more benefits you'll see. Rooting for you!
Old 06-14-2014, 11:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
jkb

I completely understand what you are saying. I am almost 7 months sober now. I was almost nine months sober when my brain convinced me i didn't want to be sober anymore..... So, I drank. I went on vacation and had a few beers throughout the night. Tried moderation. Realized about half way through that night that I could be drunk which eventually would lead back to misery. Or I could be 100% sober however, I could not be a happy normal drinker. The obsession for more was and always will be there.

Take time and reflect on the past 30 days. Where you were, why you quit and what the benefit is for you in returning to drinking. Really weigh the pros/cons. Decide what you want out of it??

Just my advice....

Jess
Old 06-14-2014, 11:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Don't drink pal... I'm 26 and a half and on day 79 and lately i'm experiencing cravings and insomnia again.
I too want to get my life back on track, but guess what?

I'm growing old. I'm not that young anymore. It's now a year and a half since i made the decision to quit... And it may be hard now, but if i don't make it this time, hell knows when i will be able to do it again.

And before i know it, i'm 30, or 35 or 40 and all the things that i want to change will be the same or worse...

Do yourself a favor and embrace the idea of not drinking! The future you will be grateful!
Old 06-14-2014, 11:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi. In the beginning many of us felt that way. For myself it was my undisciplined reaction to something I feared, losing what I thought was my best friend. At a certain point I was forced to take an honest look at my drinking history and I could see where I was headed, quickly towards the undertakers. We have choices and many take the easy way out and can never recover, over the years I’ve seen too many good people go that route and it was a horrible way to go. For those who put the effort into being sober the results are usually great, like being comfortable in ones own skin. It’s the result of not picking up the first drink. Even if.

BE WELL
Old 06-14-2014, 12:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I reached day 30 today and I was feeling the exact same way you are a few days ago. It hasn't completely gone away, but I am realizing that feeding the obsession isn't going to help it to go away faster. It is really just keeping it alive.

Hang in there. Rooting for you.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

One thing I know for sure is that you need the motivation if you are going to continue with recovery. I hope you do.

I wonder if you've made other changes in your life in the last few weeks, besides stopping drinking?
Old 06-14-2014, 01:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

A post about NA beer and relapsing the other day, today you don't think you want to be sober...what's going on, Chilled? What is prompting the struggle?
Old 06-14-2014, 02:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

If you drink there is a 100% chance that things will be worse. Read some of your old posts and consider that how you felt then is only a prelude to how much worse it will get.

If you stay sober you have a very good chance to make things much better, although it will take time and effort on your part.

Those are your 2 choices, and it is a choice you can make. Remember that having a few or somehow moderating is not an option. If you choose to drink at all, you choose whatever may happen after that.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I understand, I too had these feelings in the beginning.

Yes, things can and will only get worse if you start back and continue to drink...we never know when that next drink will be the one where the consequences will be too much to handle. We each have to hit our personal low point before we're ready and I hope it doesn't take anything to drastic for you my friend.

I'm pulling for you : )
Old 06-14-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Same as others. Don't let your AV convince you that something remotely positive will come from drinking.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

That's that alcohol-loving part of your brain, making a last-ditch ploy to get back on the booze train. Don't listen to bad brain, stick to the plan long enough to build a sober life (six months to a year, minimum .. c'mon man you're not even out of the @#$% in 3-4 weeks) guaranteed you'll want to keep it.

I can't remember ever hearing anyone saying, after 6-12 months of sobriety, "hrm I need to go back to my drunken life." Stick it out.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
~sb

when sobriety sucks, maybe AA can help you to stay stopped!
Old 06-14-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
A post about NA beer and relapsing the other day, today you don't think you want to be sober...what's going on, Chilled? What is prompting the struggle?
In all honesty I feel weak like I have no strength left to keep fighting the battle! The obsessive want for alcohol is just draining me and I feel like im losing my grip on sobriety. Im just not sure how long I can keep white knuckling it, on top of that I have a ton of heartache and trauma that is just SO raw and fresh in my mind without the booze.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
One thing I know for sure is that you need the motivation if you are going to continue with recovery. I hope you do.

I wonder if you've made other changes in your life in the last few weeks, besides stopping drinking?
Ive not really had much physical energy to do anything active, been in the house most of the time, doing the same things except drinking. Just feel too drained to do anything.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Well I have hung on yet again so im sober, but I REALLY do not know what to do from here on out! Feel like throwing in the towel!
Old 06-14-2014, 02:53 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

AA worked for me when all else failed. It has also worked for countless others. I simply was not strong enough to do it on my own

If what you are doing isn't working try something else