Notices

Day 27. Dog says thanks!

Old 06-14-2014, 08:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 27. Dog says thanks!

Hi, I'm on day 27. Never made it this far except for 6 weeks when I got out of detox over a year ago. Still struggling with finding things to do to relax that don't involve alcohol, but I'd have to say so far my dog is on the receiving end of my new found sobriety. Except for yesterday, which was rainy and muddy, we have been going to the dog park twice a day. The miraculous thing about this is that usually on my days off I started drinking in the morning, which made it impossible to drive to the dog park, so he got a short walk around the neighborhood. (WUI, walking under the influence). If by some chance I did wait until later to drink, I still couldn't drive to the dog park after dinner. In other words, my schedule and his revolved around whether I had been drinking and could drive. Thursday I took him to the dog park in the morning, then to the self service dog wash, so he is all clean and shiny and sweet smelling. Plan to go to the dog park again after work. Still struggling with wishing I could have some wine at night to relax, but I know it's for the best for both of us if I don't.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Very nice going, scintillady. Sobriety has a certain freshness about it, doesn't it; who new!!!!!!
Old 06-14-2014, 09:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Congratulations on 27 days - the start of a new fresh-smelling life for both of you!
Old 06-14-2014, 09:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great Job on 27 Days!!

It's great when the positives of Sobriety can be clearly seen!!
Old 06-14-2014, 09:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well done on 7 days!

Self service dog washing! Yikes we need some of those around here! My dog smells, like a dog. LOL!
Old 06-15-2014, 10:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dog wash is definitely worth it. He's 100 pounds, so getting him in and out of the bathtub is not an option. The dog was tubs are waist high with a ramp for him to climb up. Waterproof aprons are provided. There are a lot of de-shedding tools available to use beforehand. The water is at a constant 80 degree temperature in the sprayer, there are 6 different dog shampoos to pick from, ear and teeth wipes, chamois towels to dry with, then blow dryers at a constant temperature. The dryers come out of the wall and the motors are in the basement so they are quiet. After all this, just leave the tools, fur,towels and wet floor and head home. A lot nicer than messing up your own bathroom. Price varies with size of dog. My 100 pounder only costs me $18.00. Definitely worth it a few times a year. Plus, I spent more than that every WEEK for wine!!!
Old 06-15-2014, 10:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm doing the same thing! :-)

My dog is so happy. We go to the dog park in the morning before work and after dinner. My apartment complex has a nice one and there's always other dogs there. Lucy (dog's name) is a terrier mix and has lots of energy. She is super sweet and friendly.

Sitting there watching her run and play is so much better than sitting on the couch watching TV and getting drunk.

Congrats to you!
Old 06-15-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 27 days! It's great that you and your dog are both getting benefits of sobriety My cats kept me clean, many a time, as I didn't want them to suffer my stupidity.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 06-15-2014, 11:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Check this out if you haven't seen it yet--very very funny

It's called "Sad Dog Diary"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw1C5T-fH2Y
Old 06-15-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My dog, too, enjoys longer and more frequent walks now that I've been sober!