Notices

another one in need of help, talk and friends

Old 06-13-2014, 10:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

another one in need of help, talk and friends

I'm here I guess for all the same reasons, I need help to stop this self destruction that I currently on.I know nothing about forums, how to navigate etc. so please bear with me and bbe patient . I'm a quick learner.Now that I have that off my chest, im here to let you help me and teach me how NOT to be the weak person I have become. I pray that you all can help me so that I can do thiss at home where I am most secure and comfortable.im hoping that those of you that hzave been here for a while can teach me all the tips and tricks to once again be sober all day everyday and not till just 4 in the pm.thx ahead of time to each and everyone of you, I know this will be a journey and that along the way I will meet many new friends.It is getting latee here and I or I should say my grandaughter has a sleepover so I really only have about 15. 20 minutes left.thank you again for welcoming me into your fold.......p.s im not always this long winded, maybe I just had to say what I said and see it in writing.again thx, balls in your court.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Just put down the bottle. Put the plug in the jug. All I know is once I started to be honest with myself, started to help other people and get out of myself, started to find help, I reached out and found some help. I found it by meeting with people face to face. Its the internet age, but real human connection one on one is where the true help comes from. If you want to stop drinking you can, you can be sober and happy at the same time. Its pretty simple actually, but there is a lot of hard work to be done, if you want it bad enough. What are you willing to do for your recovery?
Old 06-13-2014, 10:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi skibloo - welcome

You'll find a lot of support and encouragement here, and that makes it a lot easier - but the buck has to stop with you, really.
No one can get you recovered but you

My advice is to really plug yourself in here, post and read as much as you like - really use the community.

Why not join our June support thread?
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-2-a-3.html

I think you'll find, like I and countless others have, that you're stronger than you think you are

D
Old 06-13-2014, 10:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome skibloo.

Joining this forum really helped me turn my life around. Lots of good advice here.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Skiploo, as Dee said it all has to start with you, if you truly are ready will will get lots of support here.

Step 1: admit the problem and admit you want to fix it for YOURSELF!!!!!!
Step2 : medical help might be needed, depending on how long and how severe
step3: stick with it, no matter how unpleasant it can be
Step4: log in at least once daily and get info...
step5: once an alcoholic, always and alcoholic, but a sober one... No more social drinking ever.....

No these are no step from AA, these are Johnson own steps, because you can force someone to do anything unless they truly want to, but we are all here to support you......
Old 06-14-2014, 01:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, skibloo! This is a great community, and I'm sure it will help you a lot. It really helps me.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome!

I hope SR serves you well and helps you as much as it does for me. I never feel alone, I just jump on here when I feel down.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome! SR is a great resource. You'll find lots of support and understanding here. Glad you've joined us.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Welcome skibloo. There's a lot of support and recovery here. First things first, stop drinking. Sounds simple but that's just the first step which needs to immediately be followed by other steps. I recommend that you set up an appointment with your doctor immediately. Detoxing from alcohol can range from quite uncomfortable to very dangerous and deadly. I've gone through quite a few withdrawal episodes and have been unfortunate enough to experience all of the terrible withdrawals including seizures. I would not recommend anyone go through that. The times I was medically detoxed were by far less painful and, of course, much more safe. Not only that, but getting myself medical help also lead to me getting help with getting into treatment.

For myself, I have found my local AA community to be absolutely essential to my recovery. I'm not a religious person so if that's the case with you as well, know that most AA communities practice a spiritual program, not a religious one. I know that my desire to drink was not lifted by anything inside me. My morals, willpower and convictions was not enough. The power of the program and the fellowship of AA has helped me achieve sobriety and serenity in my life.

I practice a life of honesty, acceptance, willingness and service. These simple principles have been at work changing my life every day. I can tell you that I was a round the clock drinker. I was quite a hopeless case. I finally got desperate enough to reach out for help and have found that if I was willing to accept it, it was there. I've had to find a willingness to set aside my ego and selfish tendencies to achieve my sobriety. It has been a humbling and life changing experience and I can say now that I am living a life full of a serenity the likes of which I have never known possible. My life is far from perfect but it's considerably more rich and fulfilling than I ever thought it could be.

Welcome to our community. We are a supportive lot. Remember to come here before you drink. Talk, share, listen and be willing. We are not extraordinary people. We are simple, typical alcoholics who have found strength in the community we have built around ourselves. Come share in our strength, hope and experiences.

Now, my friend, the ball is back in your court!
Old 06-14-2014, 05:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!! You'll find loads of support here!!
Old 06-14-2014, 06:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome skibloo. You will find support here. We are all here helping each other. I'm sober now for 4 months and I love it. My mind is clear, my health is good. I wake up refreshed and energized and now can really be there for my family. You can too.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome! I am new to recovery myself, but AA saved my life. I'm sure you could find a meeting somewhere close by. All the best!
Old 06-15-2014, 10:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thx to all of you I failed yesterday, try again today. I will be back here later about that first drink time.4 oclock.right now I have to go uptown to the store, I have been reading other posts to gain insight as what to expect, yesterday I failed because I was afraid of the things I read about cold turkey.i do have benzos, a blood pressure cuff and a pulseoximeter to watch my vitals.i also have copd and oxygen tank for the nightime.any way , I will be back, again many thx bloo