Notices

Forgot to ask about cold turkey quitting

Old 06-13-2014, 08:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Wild Child

Forgot to ask about cold turkey quitting

Hey guys I was so nervous on my first post , I forgot to ask about how everyone stopped drinking. I have googled like crazy and have read more than once about not quitting cold turkey as it can be dangerous. It suggested to taper off slowly. Like I said I have not had a drink since Wed. night/ Thurs morning (1am ) and that was only 3 beers. I have some anxiety and am sweating and could not fall asleep last night until almost 2am but slept until 8:30am... Not really hungry but I did eat earlier and drinking tons of water and vitamins I read are great for anxiety.

Just making sure I am doing the right thing !!!!

THANK YOU! :O)
Old 06-13-2014, 08:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes miss it can be risky if you drank daily for awhile. You seem to be doing well if you are now over 72 hrs and sleep is a little hard. I too am only 3+ days w/out and i did taper which is also risky but sketchy sleep is my only symptom of withdrawal so i guess it helped ( I drank A LOT daily). This will pass soon for both of us. You are through the hardest part but I would recommend checking your BP at Wal Mart or the local drug store--just to be safe. Best wishes and welcome.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Wild Child

Thank you Reisingwood, I appreciate that. I did not drink alot daily more on the weekends and some nights 1-2 glasses of wine. I am just a chicken and you know when you read all that crap online you get freaked out!
Old 06-13-2014, 08:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Miss, your reactions to detox would depend on a lot of individual factors. I drank a bottle of wine a night and had no physical reaction at all, but others on here have done.
I think you'd know by now though.
Either way it would be a great idea to see your doctor and tell him/her what you're doing. You'll get lots of support and praise and that always helps.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Withdrawals tend to be worse when you drink daily.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have a very bad last 'home alone' detox so I always recommend people see their Dr if they're concerned or have any questions
No one here can tell you anything.

Under our rules, we simply can't give medical advice on SR,and I'd like to remind our newer members of this.

D
Old 06-13-2014, 09:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I'm with Dee on this. I too have had several very bad experiences with at home detox. I've had at least 1 seizure that i remember. Alcohol detox is very uncomfortable at the least and deadly at the worst. See your doctor and be totally honest. It's not as bad as you think. Your doctor can either recommend a medical detox or give you something to help with your symptoms.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Wild Child

Sorry my bad, Thank you for your advice!
Old 06-14-2014, 02:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I quit cold turkey, but I went to see a doctor before I did it, he ran a few tests, blood pressure etc and his advice was it would be safe to do so, I also went back a month later for another check up to make sure everything was ok.

I did have withdrawals but the advice was I didn't need any medication to get through them, also the doctor didn't mention anything about tapering, I only realised that actually existed when I read posts on SR.

So you gotta keep yourself safe, if your unsure about anything, check in with a Dr!!
Old 06-14-2014, 02:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

A quick doctor visit will give you piece of mind, reduce your anxiety, ensure you will be safe.

Sounds like a decent deal to me ;-)
Old 06-14-2014, 11:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Wild Child

PurpleKnight and Thepatman, Thank you MUCH!!!!!!!!!!

thanks
Old 06-14-2014, 06:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

I quit cold turkey but that was because I wasn't aware of the dangers. Thankfully I was not as far gone as I thought and I only had to deal with horrible insomnia and anxiety. There weren't any major physical problems other than the shakes and feeling nausea. But definitely ask a doctor if you think you might need assistance.