Notices

Really could use some advice

Old 06-13-2014, 06:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Really could use some advice

I am a 39 year old male and am in a really bad place. I am in debt, just lost my girlfreind, wrecked my car, and am just sick of being like this. I'll get a few days under my belt sober, then go on a crazy bender. Don't do the things I enjoy anymore, cry alot and am just miserable. I know I need to quit drinking, its ruining my life. The way I live is not living, I have a good heart and enjoy helping people, but I cant help myself. It feels like a have a big empty space in my soul, and no amount of booze or drugs or girls can fill it. I know im trying to fight something I will never win.Just feel lost and alone. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The first step would be to stop using. Have you looked onto support groups in your area?
Old 06-13-2014, 06:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have, people are actually very helpful with these sorts of issues. My plan is to go to some support groups, find one I like and stick with it. Doing a lot of research now, the first step for me was to register on this site. Thank you for replying so quickly.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR Str8. You've found a place where we understand and you are not alone. Are you still drinking now? Have you tried to quit recently?
Old 06-13-2014, 06:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I too lost my car and my girl recently due to drinking and that's fair. I'm also in serious debt from drinking and that's fair. I quit drinking and it won't be long until I'm driving down the highway with a cute girl in the passenger seat. I look forward to that moment, but for now. I have to focus on not drinking tonight.

Have you decided when you are going to quit for good?
Old 06-13-2014, 07:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I made it a week, but am drinking now just cause my body feels like crap, as I am sure you know it's a vicious cycle. I have a friend who does not drink and is going to let me spend the evening with him and his wife. Just trying to figure out the best way to do this, I know I have to be sober, but this time I actually want it, which I guess is a good first step.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to meet you Str8. We're all in this together & we want to help.

When I found SR I was desperate for a change too. I was so afraid to stop - I'd been drinking all my life & was completely dependent on it. Talking about my feelings here gave me the courage to let go of it - and I began to heal. You can get your life back on track and have a great future. Please keep reading and posting.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was in a similar situation 3 years ago. Lost the car (DUI), lost the girl, lost job, and had to declare bankruptcy. Not to mention being hospitalized for pancreatitis. The common denominator: alcohol. I think you know the cause of your misery. You will never be happy if you keep drinking like you have. Start with getting sober and the rest will fall into place.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone, already feeling a little better. going to put the energy into getting sober that I put into drinking, and will keep posting and reading on here.
What a wonderful community, I really appreciate the support.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Str8Chaos74

D
Old 06-13-2014, 09:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Str8Chaos74 View Post
I am a 39 year old male and am in a really bad place. I am in debt, just lost my girlfreind, wrecked my car, and am just sick of being like this. I'll get a few days under my belt sober, then go on a crazy bender. Don't do the things I enjoy anymore, cry alot and am just miserable. I know I need to quit drinking, its ruining my life. The way I live is not living, I have a good heart and enjoy helping people, but I cant help myself. It feels like a have a big empty space in my soul, and no amount of booze or drugs or girls can fill it. I know im trying to fight something I will never win.Just feel lost and alone. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Just stop drinking, put down the bottle. We have the best of intentions, but with no action, nothing improves. You have to give up and surrender in order to win. Go to AA and work the steps as its laid out in the AA's basic text. Great odds of success, more then 75%. No other program in the world offers those kind of guarunteed odds.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
instant

Welcome. I am sure there is a better way. Its just one step at a time. Its easier to rebuild when you are sober.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I do know this feeling you are describing about complete chaos. I just lost my( I hated it), went on a 5 day bender of epic chaos last week. I'm still down and climbing back up emotionally. Sunday was the day I stopped then went into work Monday and was canned. I know its tough when you are going through this battle we have internally, but gotta keep ya head up. Just know you aren't alone in this which is why I come on here and read throughout the day. This site motivates me and gives me hope. I'm real with my self that I know that I can't say I'll never drink again, but I know I need to not drink.

It gets better day by day and I'm only on day 4. Had a beer when I got home from being fired. Binge I guess ended on Monday and been sober since. Tempted but sober. This can only get better my friend. Trust me I know because my family and I are going through a ton right now.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!