Notices

Soooo irritable! Normal?

Old 06-13-2014, 04:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Soooo irritable! Normal?

I'm on day 45 clean and sober and still have days where I'm just so cranky and moody that I can barely stand it. It seems to just happen for no good reason. Today every little thing my bf did or said just made me crazy, I couldn't help being snippy. Is it possible that this is just part of being so early in recovery? (or am I just being a B-word?)

His plans for tonight were cancelled and he's on his way home and I'm honestly dreading it, I still feel very on edge. Any tips for getting through feeling like this?
Old 06-13-2014, 05:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I just made the observation that actually the only thing irritating me is him so maybe this issue is more appropriate for our couples counselor on Monday lol, sorry about that I thought it was a recovery thing!

For now I think I'm gonna spend the rest of the evening listening to music and supporting people on SR. I think some alone time is my best bet at this point...
Old 06-13-2014, 06:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Amester...

Although it is a good idea to bring this up at your couples counseling session, there is nothing inappropriate about posting here too.

Talking about our emotions here is directly related to our sobriety. Many of us are getting used to feeling all these things as we are no longer numbing them with booze.

Feel free to post about anything you are feeling. Irritability is common in the early days, so you are not alone there.

Congrats on 45 days!!! Awesome!
Old 06-13-2014, 06:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I remember being moody and irritable for a few months after I got sober. It took some time but the moods smoothed out eventually.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah I was a bit cranky for the first while on some days, and on other days hyper, there didn't seem to be any happy medium, down one day and up the next day, but that levelled out with time.

My work colleagues must have thought I was on something during my hyper days, there's irony in there somewhere!!
Old 06-14-2014, 02:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Amester, it could be part of early sobriety. For your boyfriend's sake tell him you're on edge and go and have a relaxing bath.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think we notice our moods more because we have to actually deal with them.

Old 06-14-2014, 02:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I get those moods when I'm either, hungry, angry, lonely, or tired.

The concept is all over SR not invented by me but it works in my case every single time.

It's the HALT tool.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you for all of the feedback! I feel a little better that I'm not totally alone in feeling like this at times. I go through hyper periods as well but I am bipolar with rapid cycling so its hard to tell sometimes if I'm manic, hyper, overtired or just in a good mood!

I am familiar with HALT but didn't even think of it for this situation. I didn't eat breakfast or lunch and was pissed at the bf cuz of something he said when we first woke up. So hungry and angry certainly could have been contributing factors! Thank you for reminding me about that