Notices

New here...not sure I'm the typical alcoholic

Old 06-13-2014, 10:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here...not sure I'm the typical alcoholic

So I've been drinking since I was 18. I'm 27 now. I've never been a huge drinker, but I will to have fun. I almost NEVER drink when I'm alone. I can count the times on one hand's fingers. I've had multiple stints in my life where I don't drink for for several months at a time, like 3-9 months.

The last two years I've been seeing a girl. We split up recently, and I had been drinking most of the 2 weeks while that was going on. I ended up saying really mean things while drunk, and this has been happening more and more frequently. We split up because she can't stand the cycle of getting along really well for 4 weeks, and then getting in a huge fight.

After my last drunk night and VERY stupid decisions made (which I don't recall what I said when I tried to show up to her place to talk while black out drunk), I spent the next to days sober and thinking.

Pretty much all of the fights we have, I have been drinking. Usually quite a bit, too. The reason they only happen about once a month, is because I'm far from a daily drinker.

So like I said...I think I'm a different type of alcholic...I haven't drank in 6 days and haven't had the urge in the slightest...its not that I want to drink, it's that when I do drink to have fun I end up turning into a verbal fight monster and say mean things to someone whom I love more than anything and would never say to them while sober!

So that's my story. Day 6. I'm going to re-evaluate in a month, but I'm thinking at that point my decision is going to be trying a year off of alcohol, maybe more.

EDIT: The lack of difficulty realizing I had an alcohol problem reminds me of how I never knew I had ADHD until I was an adult. I have ADHD-PI (Prominently Inattentive), which often gets unnoticed as ADHD because most people with ADHD act out, where as with PI their attention issues are internalized and introverted. With drinking, my problem went unnoticed because I don't drink often and and have long stretches without alcohol, but when I do drink it can completely destroy things.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome Mac
well you found the right place for support.
hang around here for a bit, you'll read some good stuff!
Old 06-13-2014, 10:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

You are not unique. We have many, many members who binge occasionally on alcohol but it ends up causing big problems in their lives.

I'm glad you are stopping drinking.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'd say you're typical in the sense that

you're on a recovery website speculating over whether or not you're a 'typical' alcoholic
alcohol has caused you problems in your life
alcohol has negatively impacted at least one close relationship in your life
you actually look at times where you didn't drink for a few months as examples of how you're maybe not a 'typical' alcoholic
You've been 'black out drunk'
You're making observations about 'the urge' and noting the number of days without it

But whether you're 'typical' or not really doesn't matter anywhere near as much as what is it you want to do about this alcohol situation?

Welcome!

Old 06-13-2014, 11:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome.

Originally Posted by MacBradley View Post
So that's my story. Day 6. I'm going to re-evaluate in a month, but I'm thinking at that point my decision is going to be trying a year off of alcohol, maybe more.
You said you drink heavily once a month, so I think going more than a month gives you a better chance to evaluate the benefits of not drinking...or your struggles with not drinking.

Good luck.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I knew I had a problem with alcohol when I kept on doing things that I wouldn't do sober, often things that hurt or disappointed people close to me.

Lots of support here on SR, keep coming back, good luck!
Old 06-13-2014, 11:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I personally define an alcoholic as "somebody who cannot control their drinking", so by my logic, if you cannot control your binges, even if they are a week apart, then you are.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

If your drinking is causing problems in your life then I would put that in the definition of alcoholic/problem drinking, and something clearly needs to change as alcohol is not doing you any favours!!

You'll find loads of support here!!
Old 06-13-2014, 12:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Macbradley, you are more typical than you think. I too am not an alcoholic but I used to binge to a point that it caused problems once in a while. You realize pretty quickly since you become sober that drinking wasn't worth it. The problem is after you are feeling good for a few weeks you start to think things will change if you return to a moderate amount of booze.

As almost everyone here can tell moderation or "reevaluating after 30 days" doesn't work out. The only prize is you get to go through the crappy parts all over again but only worse.

Embracing a sober life is very hard. After a while it is so worth it.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mek2 View Post
Macbradley, you are more typical than you think. I too am not an alcoholic but I used to binge to a point that it caused problems once in a while. You realize pretty quickly since you become sober that drink wasn't worth it. The problem is after you are feeling good for a few weeks you start to think things will change if you return to a moderate amount of booze.

As almost everyone hear can tell moderation or "reevaluating after 30 days" doesn't work out. The only prize is you get to go through the crappy parts all over again but only worse.

Embracing a sober life is very hard. After a whole it is so worth it.
Everyone thanks for the posts. This one here is probably the best advice I can take.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

welcome MacB, in time you'll figure it out. Hopefully before it's not too late.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mek2 View Post
Macbradley, you are more typical than you think. I too am not an alcoholic but I used to binge to a point that it caused problems once in a while. You realize pretty quickly since you become sober that drinking wasn't worth it. The problem is after you are feeling good for a few weeks you start to think things will change if you return to a moderate amount of booze.

As almost everyone here can tell moderation or "reevaluating after 30 days" doesn't work out. The only prize is you get to go through the crappy parts all over again but only worse.

Embracing a sober life is very hard. After a while it is so worth it.
I also found (speaking for myself here) that over time...my binges started getting closer and closer andcloserclosercloser together.
and the chaos worsened.