Notices

Hi, Im new :)

Old 06-13-2014, 08:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face Hi, Im new :)

So this is Day Two of my stop drinking for 30 days campaign. I want to stop for longer than that ideally, but saying "forever" seems too intense for me to tackle right away. I'm one of those "functional" alcoholics that thought everything was fine because it wasn't affecting my work/ home life etc - but Im really not feeling well personally. I've come to realise that just because im not on the edge of homeless or losing my job doesn't mean that I don't have a significant problem.
Im extremelly uncomfortable with discussing this with anyone I know, for a variety of reasons so I thought hey - let's get on the internet where there's others like me. So here I am.
Any tips or advice would be appreciated, I'm home alot due to my work and family situation so anything to try to fill up the time that doesn't involve a drink is proving a little difficult. Apparently I can tolerate alot of stupid stuff on TV when I've a drink in hand... not so much sober. Thanks !
Old 06-13-2014, 09:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!! you'll find loads of support here!! Great to have you onboard!!

"forever" is too stressful a word for most in the early days, I tended to look at things as not drinking until bedtime, and then I'd get another day to do the same.

I too was pretty "functional", never lost a job, my driving license, but alcohol was affecting my life so had to make a change.

Great job on Day 2!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 06-13-2014, 09:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome Hopeful, and congratulations on your choice. SR is filled with people who have been in ( or are ) in exactly the same position as you are so you are definitely not alone. The term "functional" alcoholic is really kind of misleading, I really just view it as another excuse to keep drinking that many of us use. Sounds like you've seen through that though and have wisely decided to quit before things get bad...which is fantastic!

I found that keeping busy was essential for me, especially in the early days. One thing that helped me a lot was making lists and schedules each day. That way I never had big chunks of idle time to let my mind start wandring. Using SR was very important to me too, and it still is today. Stay close if you need help - someone is always on.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome and congrats on your second day sober. It gets better.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

welcome
I sure wish I'd have nipped this in the bud before I found myself in legal/financial woes.
I managed to scrape by with a job (barely) and my family, friends and BF. But facing jail time now. This "malady" is a sneaky bugger. Got me with my guards down bigtime.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

tips or advice?

Use every one of these 30 days to observe as many stories of others as you can....

notice the range from "functional alcoholics" like you to "lost it all's" - look here, look in AA meetings, look in other stories out there.

Look not for "how am I different" but instead look for "where is my story similar?"

Look for the joys that you notice in your life during these 30 days that you may not have taken the time to notice, honor and celebrate in the past. How has drinking been related?

Look for the emergence of goodness, new time, new habits, new opportunities that present themselves in the spaces alcohol would normally fill.

Look.... look at how good it can be, and look.... at how bad it can get.

Anyway; that's what arises for me in response to your request.

Welcome.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Finding things to fill the time is rough for me as well. Used to be several beers would fill that void. Now what? I read more. Hard to do that when drunk! I have dogs so that makes taking walks more enjoyable and they love it too. I am hoping once my brain is away from that cheap initial thrill that alcohol gave it, my natural highs will be more frequent again. Beer made me lazy because the initial buzz was easy, fun and kind of exciting. No effort. But many beers leading to that horrible next day feeling was hardly worth it! Yard work is pretty rewarding for me as it's strenuous enough to tire me and then it looks so nice I feel a sense of accomplishment. It's about retraining my lazy brain for me. And finding a passion to fill the void. This place helps too. I don't post a ton but do read others stories. You're in great company!
Old 06-13-2014, 11:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks guys ! Im feeling the support already !! such great ideas so far.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

welcome. only advice for now is to focus on today. just for today...
Old 06-13-2014, 01:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to meet you HopefulLotus. You are among friends who understand and care. You can do this.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

HopefulLotus, I have become a cleaning/gardening/cooking machine since I stopped drinking. I didn't realize how many small projects I had put off/ignored/forgotten about during my heavy drinking. Now, I paint rooms, reorganize closets, cook adventurous meals and generally have a much cleaner house than before. It wears me out and helps me sleep at night and it gives me a sense of accomplishment.

Give it a shot. But don't forget to stay close to SR so that we know how you are doing. Good luck. I am glad that you are here with us.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Tired ?

Thanks so much everyone for the support, rocking day 3 pretty steady. Tonight is going to be hard as its' my day off tomorrow so tonight was generally a pretty heavy drinking night. I'm finding I'm really tired since I stopped - is this normal ? I thought my energy would go up without being hungover, but Im feeling pretty wiped. Maybe my body just being confused?
Old 06-15-2014, 11:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I felt pretty wiped out the first couple of weeks sober. Better now, going into week 4. . Enjoy the rest. Your body must need it! Hang out here tonight if you feel the urge! There's always someone to talk you through the rough spots here.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Very normal to feel drained, your body is healing and so that takes energy, plus you're using a lot of energy trying to not drink, I'd imagine your mind is in overdrive trying to make it through the day, finally it'll take time for your sleep to adjust, so it might not be the most restful sleep you've had over the last few days.

It get's better with time!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 06-15-2014, 11:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I work a 12 hour shift tonight, so im thinking if Im not completely wiped by the end and wanting to drink i'll start baking. I like baking, and have bananas that are getting past thier useful point. haha. I've got plans for tomorrow as suggested above, swimming in the morning - mowing the lawns in the afternoon. I somehow had this idea that when I stopped I'd magically wake up in the morning feeling awesome. haha.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I know what you mean, but I figured I poured what is basically a poison into my body constantly for 5 years straight, that surely needed some time to heal, my organs, my skin, my mental outlook, everything needed to recover.

One day you will wake up and you will feel awesome, it'll take time but you'll get there!!
Old 06-16-2014, 02:26 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

You're doing great x