Notices

Addiction therapy and alcohol drug treatments

Old 06-13-2014, 06:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Addiction therapy and alcohol drug treatments

Following my recent run of very, very bad behavior, I made an appointment with an addiction counselor. He prescribed three drugs to help with the alcohol dependency--naltrexone, campral and Antabuse. The Antabuse will likely not be part of the daily regimen, just for reinforcement during certain trigger periods. I am not asking for medical advice (I saw the doctor already for that!), but does anyone have experience with any of these drugs, or the cocktail of all three? I have read a fair amount about them individually, but haven't seen much about all 3 being used together. Thank you. Happy weekend, everybody.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Magicalthinking View Post
The Antabuse will likely not be part of the daily regimen, just for reinforcement during certain trigger periods.
Your counselor and doctor said that? Use it when you need it? Seems at odds with what Antabuse is used for, which is daily reinforcement of not drinking.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

I've had experience with Antabuse. I took it for 3 months, and it did act as a deterrent to keep me from drinking. However, after a while I decided I didn't need it anymore. (I was also worried it was contributing to a lack of libido, but that's a different story!) I think in the back of my mind, though, I was planning to drink again but not admitting that that was the real reason I was stopping. For what its supposed to do, it does work. It won't kill the cravings, so I'm assuming that's the purpose of the other 2 drugs. I took Naltrexone for a few days but didn't like some of the strange side effects I experienced. I'm not familiar with Campral, so not sure about it.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks, getmeout. I can see how the Antabuse would be a very effective deterrent! I am open to using it more regularly, just want to see how the other two drugs work out first--they are supposed to help with the cravings. I usually have bad side effects with drugs too, but I am willing to try anything at this point.

Doggone, yes, agreed, Antabuse is supposed to be for daily reinforcement. I have a stressful event next weekend involving an alcoholic relative who recently attempted suicide, so the Antabuse is supposed to help me deal with that without drinking. I can't start the naltrexone until I have five days sober and I am not quite there yet.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

I used Campral but it didn't help and the side effects were unpleasant, so I stopped. I would have put up with the side effects if it had been effective in reducing cravings, but it wasn't. I stopped drinking without medication in the end.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Antebuse will block certain enzymes, making your body's ability to break down alcohol and make you very very very sick should you consume any alcohol. Side effects when taking and if you costume alcohol include severe nausea, temporary blindness - basically hell. I have taken it before but by no means is this an end to alcoholism - its a deterrent. Be careful on taking post your last drink - label should have info and consult your Dr. Also be mindful of the warning such as fumes from gasoline (breathing in) can trigger and any food (chicken Marsala) since you can activate the side effects in more ways than one.

I would maybe suggest a second opinion - sounds like your Dr. threw a quick cocktail of scripts at you - I would want a Dr. that really takes some time with me.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I used campril for two years and I never thought it too much but then again I stayed sober. For sure it did no harm
Old 06-13-2014, 10:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks all for your input. Jdooner, yes, the doctor gave me stern warnings about the effects of alcohol + Antabuse. I hope you didn't have to experience any of that personally, it sounds miserable. I was surprised to leave with multiple scripts, but we we had a full session, went over all the pros/cons and have a follow up visit scheduled.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I hope it works for you but I worry that's yet another case of using a physical cure for a psychological problem.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes, be very careful with Antabuse. An old friend of mine from the 1980's became the most hapless alcoholic I have ever seen. And that is saying a lot going back to 1960.

He went on an unbelievable binge in 1982,only drank, didn't eat for 10 days, and eventually attempted suicide by jumping off the bridge into Biscayne Bay. A passing cop saw him jump, jumped in himself and saved my friends life.

Another friend and myself Baker Acted him (forced commitment under Florida Law) the next day. After 15 weeks in the hospital with Antabuse every day, he was finally released. Within a few days he attempted to drink heavily again, and the reaction was so severe, he had to be taken by ambulance to ER and came very close to dying.

The Doctor told me that the long Antabuse regimen could have been a heavy factor. Thankfully, he recovered and remained sober. So in the end it turned out well. But I will never take Antabuse. His is the worst, but not the only unpleasant case I've seen ,having been a Medical Tech for 8 years.