Notices

I had cancer.....

Old 06-12-2014, 08:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I had cancer.....

I have been a lurker for a long time and haven't posted my story. Basically had cancer (four surgeries, 4 months chemo, 30 rounds radiation). Turned to alcohol afterwards because that was the only way I could get the cancer out of my mind. Of course, I was a heavy drinker before cancer but turned out of control with drinking afterwards. Having all the same problems as others - family, law, job. Anyway, made it to day 2.

I am home alone all day and of course I want to drink, ughhhh this is so hard. I know I just can't keep doing this or my family is going to find out. Not going to just babbling, thanks for listening.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the posting side of SR, Livingbetter.

Cancer is a formidable foe; so is alcoholism.

We are here to help you beat this monster.

Do you have any support systems?
Old 06-12-2014, 08:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!!
Old 06-12-2014, 09:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome LivingBetter. Being alone can be difficult - SR is here 24/7 if you need help.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome to posting. I'm glad you did.
I'm sorry about the cancer and I hope you overcome it.
As you know, drinking won't help anything.
My medical conditions are all physical, and they are severe. But I don't drink over them.
I'm home alone all day, too. I try to keep myself occupied with hobbies and exercise and the dreaded television ; )

At the end of my drinking everyone knew I was a drunk. Sad thing was, as much as I tried to hide it, it was obvious from my unpredictable behavior.
It took a nasty bottoming out for me to finally quit.

You can do it. I'm sorry about your illness, that must be rough. Best of health and sobriety to you. And congratulations on day two. Please keep reading and posting.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome
G
Old 06-12-2014, 10:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations on day 2 and I'm sorry about your illness, that's rough. Cancer is one of my biggest fears, I lost both my parents to it way too soon.

Being alone was a huge trigger for me also, I totally understand, I spend so much time alone also. I've started getting back to interests I had before alcohol took over my life so that has helped and keeps my mind occupied.

Stick around here, tons of support, and others that understand. The first days are probably the hardest, but you can do it.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome, glad you're here!
I hope you're feeling better; SR is a good place to be.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome, I can totally understand how something so trying could cause you to drink more, so I applaud you for coming here for support to stop the cycle.

Just keep posting. We're all here for you. <3
Old 06-12-2014, 10:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Livingbetter View Post
I have been a lurker for a long time and haven't posted my story. Basically had cancer (four surgeries, 4 months chemo, 30 rounds radiation). Turned to alcohol afterwards because that was the only way I could get the cancer out of my mind. Of course, I was a heavy drinker before cancer but turned out of control with drinking afterwards. Having all the same problems as others - family, law, job. Anyway, made it to day 2.

I am home alone all day and of course I want to drink, ughhhh this is so hard. I know I just can't keep doing this or my family is going to find out. Not going to just babbling, thanks for listening.
do you mean you had cancer and are now cured of cancer but your still drinking ?
Old 06-12-2014, 11:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The Fuzz says U can do it!

image.jpg
Old 06-12-2014, 12:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Drinking to get over cancer anxieties just makes the whole situation worse. It's like a person who climbs a tree to get away from a lion cutting off the branch on which he or she is sitting.Makes no sense to say in effect "Now that I've recovered from cancer, I've started another way to kill myself. Some say that dying of liver failure is even worse than cancer. Rather then staying home alone, would it not make sense to go out and seek the company of other folks in recovery? And of course stay on this SR website. As you probably know there are also cancer recovery websites.

W.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the kind words! I'm done with treatment and in remission. It was stupid to start drinking heavy bc of post traumatic stress. I did see a counselor for a while and done with that now. I am utterly thankful to be alive. Alcohol is just a beast-it is always whispering to me to come have some. Of course, I didn't think it would get so out of control but as we know it is progressive. Anyway, I made it through the day (with a ton of nausea). Day 3 here I come....
Old 06-13-2014, 06:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hope Day 3 is better for you, Livingbetter.

Cancer is a huge shock to our systems and the shock is not only physical; the emotional and psychological effects are just as traumatic; glad you sought counseling.

Lean on us. The great thing about SR is its 24/7 and full of great people.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome Livingbetter! glad you are here, and in recovery mode!

You can yell louder than the 'beast', you are a survivor!

this is an awesome place. looking forward to getting to know you
Old 06-13-2014, 08:25 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Originally Posted by Livingbetter View Post
Anyway, I made it through the day (with a ton of nausea). Day 3 here I come....
Keep going.. the cravings will settle down soon. Come onto SR every time you feel like drinking and we'll talk you out of it!
Old 06-13-2014, 03:42 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome to SR LivingBetter

Just as you've come through dealing with cancer, I reckon you'll come through this too

There are more effective, positive ways to deal with anxiety and fear...have you considered having a chat with your Dr at all?

D
Old 06-13-2014, 04:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
orangutan

Hi LivingBetter and welcome to SR, glad to hear your in remission. Stick around here there is lots of great advice to help you keep sober.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you've had such a struggle with cancer and it's good to hear that you are in remission now.

You are not alone with trying to stop drinking. We're here for you and there's always someone around here anytime of the day or night.