Notices

Alcohol does not discrinimate

Old 06-11-2014, 09:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol does not discrinimate

All to many people think that people with alcohol problems are homeless, low life criminal with not goals.... Why is that,,,, were we told that as children..... An alcohol can be anyone, college student, home maker, mother or even a CEO of a major company....
Some choose to fix it, some can do it alone with little help, while others need lots of help, meds and some even treatment center.

As of day 19 today, I feel physically well, and notice some anger and frustration arriving... Anxiety meds is done, will stay on Antabuse ( don't trust myself yet)
Does other people here feel the same way......:-(
Old 06-11-2014, 09:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think for some people who've never experienced it 'alcoholics' will always be homeless, toothless people living in cardboard boxes, or weak self indulgent people.

It is what it is. I don't like it but I have no delusion it's going to change anytime soon, either.

I'm just glad there are places like SR

D
Old 06-11-2014, 10:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your sobriety. I am not an alcoholic,but never thought all alcoholics were homeless pieces of trash. I know a few drs who are functioning alcoholics. They got started to get through the pressures of med school. Actually higher class people with higher incomes comes to mind when I hear the word alcoholic.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The alcoholics who are the homeless and toothless bums do exist and are usually people who have chosen to continue drinking over becoming sober. I attend AA meetings to help remain sober and count a number of lawyers, police officers, nurses, a nun, a minister, a judge and social workers among those who also attend. No, alcohol does not discriminate. But Dee is right. Many people who do not understand view it as a moral failure and considerable weakness. I have no control over what others choose to believe.

Congrats on day 19. I felt a lot of anger when I first began the process of quitting. Why me? Why do I have to bear this? But then I think Why not me? It is what it is. I never ask myself who is at fault for me having to wear eyeglasses to see. I accept it, correct it and live my life. Hang in there, keep turning to the support you have, build a team of supporters and keep moving forward. NyQuil can do this one day at a time.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Not NyQuil. That has alcohol in it. Autocorrect and it should be "you" can do this one day at a time.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I moved from a middle class neighborhood across town to a somewhat swankier area 2 years ago. There are twice as many AA meetings within 2 miles of my current house as there were in the other neighborhood. Anecdotal information, but interesting, I thought.