Brand new to this

Old 07-08-2004, 06:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Brand new to this

I am brand new to this. My husband has a problem with hydrocodone, otherwise known as Vicodin. He also lies to me and I am really getting sick of it. I am ready to toss him out on his ear. I know he needs help but he really gives me the impression he doesn't care about anything. Any one care to comment?? Thanks.
Old 07-08-2004, 07:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Paused

[QUOTE]Hi, welcome. I'm very new to this and know that for me it feels pretty strange typing in my problems to strangers. But it is anonymous, which makes me feel better. My first husband was addicted to numerous narcotics to try to cope with back pain. I know your frustration. The medication and/or addiction is likely the reason for the "I don't care attitude." I think most do really care, deep down, but the addiction takes over such that the drug becomes more important than anything else. I chose to talk to my first husband's doctor about the problem and voice my concern. I know most would say that is "a codependent thing to do." Trust me, I've read those codependency books and still say that I'm glad I did that. I work in the medical field and just see that as being responsible.

The best advice I can give you is to take one day at a time and reach out for support. Don't lose yourself in his addiction. Keep a life of your own.

This step was an important one for you. Welcome.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome litis!

Make yourself right at home! I often think tossing them out on their ears would be the best thing for all involved. LOL However, a lot of us can't quite bring ourselves to do it. So we join groups like alanon and/or try to learn about addiction and codependency until we learn to live with it or learn we are never going to be happy living with it. The lies and the lack of interest are familiar to most of us here. I'm glad you found us!

Hugs,
Smoke
Old 07-08-2004, 11:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome litis!
To follow on from what Smoke was saying, Al-Anon not only teaches us about addiction and codependency, it also teaches us about ourselves; what we can and can't put up with, who we are and who we'd like to be and how we can make the best of what we've been given.
Stay with us awhile - you won't regret it!
HugZ
Sandra