Notices

alone...

Old 06-09-2014, 01:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

alone...

So my boyfriend is going to be gone for two whole weeks starting tomorrow... he is my "rock" and he keeps on reminding me why I am sober and also keeps me sober because he's always home. I have been sober for a whole month now, but I am afraid that I will drink when he leaves because that is what I always did before. I know all I have to do is not take that first drink... but I'm feeling so drawn to it. What do you do when your "rock" goes away? Go to more meetings??

I'm thinking now might be a good time to get some hobbies......
Old 06-09-2014, 01:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

More meetings would certainly help - and hobbies wouldn't hurt either. You can always spend more time here on SR too, either in the rooms or even chat if you need some live interaction.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hobbies? More meetings? All good options I'm thinking.
Congratulations on a month of sobriety. I'm not there again...yet.
You own your sobriety. It's so wonderful to have a strong support in your bf..but in the end it's all yours honey. And wow...be so proud of that...you have had 30 days...4 consecutive weeks of sobriety. Wahooooo!

Can you imagine what that would do to your poor good man if he felt he could never leave your side for fear you will start drinking?? Please, please, please don't put that on someone who loves you. This is your battle. It would be absolutely horrible if you picked up in his absence. He would feel terrible...you would feel terrible...

Lean on other strong posts in his absence...folks from AA...folks here. Care for your own fine self.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't have a "rock", but.... Do you have friends you could hang out with or at least call / chat online? Or make new friends on SR? Also, don't know where you live, but if there are places to go out that are interesting to you, that's a good distraction. Exercise. If you work or study, maybe a good time to catch up on projects or start something new? Try something new for your recovery?

Good job on the month, do whatever you can to keep going
Old 06-09-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

congrats on your month, I can't really add anything cept you will be able to contact him, sends texts and all eh?
Old 06-09-2014, 03:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Zelda,

Here is something else I thought of for you, considering more specifically your situation. It sounds like you have a great relationship with your bf. If this is true. Not sure these ideas will fit well with you but I'll tell them anyway, maybe other ladies would like them, too.

I usually find it quite rewarding to treat myself to small physical things, and for me this is pretty new for my recovery, these were exactly the things I neglected most while drinking and tend to neglect most when I am in a not too healthy mental state. Little treats like relaxing in a spa, massage, grooming (a new hair color, style, whatever you like about yourself), some nice clothes or lingerie, artsy jewelry, etc etc. Maybe dream up something cool, creative and unusual, how would you spend an evening with your bf... or just a nice dinner for two, whatever you guys like... and make it happen when he comes back home. These might give your mind some "food" and also action to carry out.

Of course you need a certain level of confidence for things like these that only you know if you have.

I personally loved to be creative with things like these before my drinking took my mind and life over and am just trying to get back into the lifestyle that I like...