Notices

Anxiety is KILLING me!

Old 06-09-2014, 08:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety is KILLING me!

Day 8 today and I am so filled with anxiety I don't know what to do. I had a fantastic weekend......didn't think about drinking once, but today is different. I have so many thoughts running through my head and none of them are good. I am convinced that everyone at work is angry at me and I feel like I'm letting everyone down. The crazy thing is, I have no idea why I am feeling this way?!?!? Worst part is, I have my year review with my boss today and I'm nervous. Honestly, I have no idea why. I keep going over situations in my head and stressing myself out. I feel like a child who is in trouble. I have never felt this way before. Why is this happening??? I can't take this anxiety. Is this normal????
Old 06-09-2014, 08:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Day 8,that's awesome!
You have to realize your body and mind is in the state of "rebooting" without alcohol.
Once the numbing effects of alcohol wear off the senses seem to go a little wacky for a while.
It will all pass. Try to relax,drink teas that have chamomile in them.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree with resolute. You've lifted the bottle off of your spring-loaded emotions and now they're rebounding all over the place. Just know that it's normal and the springs will stop bouncing eventually. You're okay. Just don't force them back down before they settle on their own. Easy to say Hang in there. And huge congrats on day one of week two! Great great work.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks guys! I think it would be much easier if I didn't have my review today with my boss. I am completely stressing myself out and am talking myself into irrational thoughts. I know my boss really likes me, but I am so nervous. I am really struggling today. This is a really rough start to the week....
Old 06-09-2014, 09:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm sure your performance appraisal will be fine.

Even if there are minor areas to improve, the fact you are sober and clear minded will make it easy to address.

Hang in there!
Old 06-09-2014, 09:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wantmylifeback2 View Post
Thanks guys! I think it would be much easier if I didn't have my review today with my boss.
I figured that was the main reason for your anxiety.
Once it's over I'm sure you'll be relieved.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Performance reviews are something we all have to do, they're like report cards. The work is already done, the letters and numbers are just a way to encourage personal growth.

The anxiety gets better. Can you go take a fast walk, or run up and down several flights of steps? That always helps me release nervous energy. Even 50 jumping jacks or squats works. You can always sneak off to the bathroom for a minute to do those.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You are ruminating. Rumination is associated with anxiety and depression, or low mood. I used to ruminate for days on end after a drinking binge. Recognize that these thoughts may not actually be true.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! I went to the gym over lunch and I feel better. the thoughts of anxiety are still there. I know that it is because of the performance review but its more than that. We have reviews three times a year. I'm used to it and it rarely bothers me. today, I am really anxious and irrational. It really helps to know that these thoughts are normal. I'm trying to tell myself that I am over thinking everything but the anxiety is just really bad today. I'm on my way to the review....I'll let you all know how it goes.

Fingers crossed!!!