Notices

Not sure if I'm in the right thread but..

Old 06-09-2014, 08:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not sure if I'm in the right thread but..

I'm almost one year sober and am in a very strange place mentally that I don't know how to deal with. I and am grateful for SR for being here for me to find solace but would really like to hear from anyone who is married to someone who resents their decision to quit because they don't agree with the reason why you quit.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

congratulations on almost a year! that's fantastic.

I don't have the issue you're facing. My only reflection would be that I have been through a lot of experience with resentment in marriage.

When one person resents another and is "stuck" in that resentment - there is nothing the person being resented can do unless / until the other is ready to work at moving on.

Does your spouse recognize this issue? Is there a chance you both can enter into some form of therapy to address it together?
Old 06-09-2014, 08:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I am not in your same situation but it's fairly commonly discussed here - having a spouse or SO that doesn't agree with your decision to quit that is.

First and foremost, congrats on your year sober - that's a great accomplishment. Regarding your spouse, i'm assuming this is something you have discussed? It's very difficulty for non-alcoholics to understand us. Heck, I still don't understand why I can't drink - but I KNOW that I can't even so. That's what people have a hard time with - they don't know why we can't just cut back or only drink now and then.

If you are in AA or NA you could certainly suggest Al-Anon/Narc-anon, or you could bring your spouse to an open meeting. If you are not in a 12 step program, you could potentially share your methods and reasoning.

Be proud of your sobriety though and remember that keeping sober for you is the most important thing. It's a bit selfish to feel that way some think, but the alternative is much less desirable.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 1 year sober.

I think that the reasons we stop drinking result in positive things happening in our lives. I'm surprised that your husband disagrees with your decision to stop drinking. Ultimately, you know you are doing the right thing. Have you and your husband discussed the issue openly?
Old 06-09-2014, 08:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for taking the time to comment. I apologize for being vague but it's my wife who is struggling with my decision on some level. All the bad things I've done to her throughout our relationship were done while I was drunk. I finally made the decision to stop and while she is happy that I did, she is skeptical as to why I did and thinks there is more to it when there really isn't. I just had enough.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm no longer married, but I do know as an alcoholic that it serves no purpose for me to try to figure out other peoples' motivations.

It's her issue. If she isn't willing to get to the bottom of it with you, there's not much you can do.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

ahh.... well, from that further explanation I'd also offer this reflection;

TIME.

It takes time to heal.

I think it's very natural for skepticism and doubt to be a part of the reaction of our loved ones - particularly those closest to us who have borne the burden of pain, confusion and fear as a result of our actions and words.

Having patience and empathy toward your wife will probably be a big help. If she's willing to go to al-anon or some other support group where she can find understanding perspectives or perhaps just willing to work with you in some couples counseling as part of your recovery - it may be helpful.

In a way, for married alcoholics there can be THREE recoveries.... yours, your spouse's and the recovery of your relationship.....

hang in there.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am coming to understand this and that is what is causing a lot of confusion for me. Thanks for writing... it's good to know there are others out there who have been where I am.

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I'm no longer married, but I do know as an alcoholic that it serves no purpose for me to try to figure out other peoples' motivations.

It's her issue. If she isn't willing to get to the bottom of it with you, there's not much you can do.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you! I completely agree! I am extremely patient and have weathered a number of storms since I made this decision but unfortunately she doesn't believe in counseling or support groups (thinks they are excuses for weak people)

Time is what I have and time is what I will give her.

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
ahh.... well, from that further explanation I'd also offer this reflection;

TIME.

It takes time to heal.

I think it's very natural for skepticism and doubt to be a part of the reaction of our loved ones - particularly those closest to us who have borne the burden of pain, confusion and fear as a result of our actions and words.

Having patience and empathy toward your wife will probably be a big help. If she's willing to go to al-anon or some other support group where she can find understanding perspectives or perhaps just willing to work with you in some couples counseling as part of your recovery - it may be helpful.

In a way, for married alcoholics there can be THREE recoveries.... yours, your spouse's and the recovery of your relationship.....

hang in there.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rlxsn View Post
I am coming to understand this and that is what is causing a lot of confusion for me. Thanks for writing... it's good to know there are others out there who have been where I am.
In AA they call it "staying in your own hula hoop" or "on your own side of the street."
Old 06-09-2014, 10:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by rlxsn View Post
I finally made the decision to stop and while she is happy that I did, she is skeptical as to why I did and thinks there is more to it when there really isn't. I just had enough.
Why does she think you stopped?