Notices

Not doing too well

Old 06-09-2014, 08:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not doing too well

I let a really difficult personal situation get the best of me and I drank. Not a lot but I still did it. How many attempts do I have to make or am I just one of those people who never succeed?
Old 06-09-2014, 08:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

It took many of us several attempts before it finally stuck. As long as you keep getting back up and trying again, you will succeed.

What kind of support do you have other than SR?
Old 06-09-2014, 08:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by snakes View Post
How many attempts do I have to make or am I just one of those people who never succeed?
The only way you'll never succeed is if you stop trying.

Do you want talk about your situation? I understand if you don't. The challenge to recovery is learning to deal with difficulty without drinking. Let me ask you, did drinking make your situation better? I imagine not. So drinking really isn't a solution for dealing with stuff, it's only good for hiding from stuff.

Stay strong.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You mentioned a few days ago that were going to try AA ... have you gone to any meetings?
Old 06-09-2014, 08:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by snakes View Post
How many attempts do I have to make
This could be your last one, it's 100% your choice. Most likely what you need to do is find a plan or a support network that can help you learn to deal with life's situations rather than running away from them by drinking. It is not easy, but it is possible.

One option you have right at your fingertips is SR. You can come here when you have issues, share and talk them through before drinking. Local group support might be a good idea too - like AA/NA - then you have live phone numbers of people who you can call when you face the same situation. You did mention the other day that you were going to check out AA - have you done so?

Either way, lasting sobriety is all about action. And if you take action now, you never have to detox again.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have gone to a few AA meetings and I really like them. It was a death in my family, very unexpected and shocking. And really there was nothing I could do because I am a very long distance away from most of my family. I am feeling very lost and alone. I know all of the right things to do and yet I did not do them. I simply went back to my lousy coping mechanism of alcohol which does me absolutely no good. I felt worse, not better. And so disappointed in myself.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry for your loss, Snakes. It's awful being so far away.

I'm on day 15 and I go to meetings every night ... not because I feel any particular stressor that makes me need to go, but because I really WANT to go. I want so badly to make it stick this time. I was told to "suit up and show up" (go to meetings ... all the time), the rest will come. Sobriety is much calmer (? the only word I can use to describe it) this time around and I attribute that to meeting attendance. It centers me and keeps my eye on the prize.

Good luck, Snakes. You CAN make this your last day one! You can do this.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

There is an AA meeting over lunch that I just found on line that isn't too far from where I work. If I go maybe I'll feel better.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

So sorry for your loss. Good job in posting and getting right back after it. You can do this. We are all here for you.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well work has gotten hectic and I can't go at lunch but I did call a woman from AA. I had her number in my phone and I figured I should reach out. Glad I did. I am trying to NOT keep feeding my brain with negative stuff but focus on the positive and the changes I want for my life.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Life will continue to throw the curve balls at you even when you get sober. Part of ongoing sobriety is learning how to get through the tough times without drinking. There is nothing so bad that will happen in your life that drinking will make better.