Notices

denied denied denied!

Old 06-08-2014, 05:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

denied denied denied!

I can't handle this! I've been trying to look for jobs and I keep getting denied. I guess no one wants to hire an ex stripper. I just want to give up. I know I can't but won't anyone give me a chance? I am starting to feel like that kid in gym class that gets picked last. Wait I was that kid. Its happening again. Gah! I am so frustrated. Rejection e-mails suck especially since I spent like an hour on these applications!
Old 06-08-2014, 05:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Why do they have to know you used to strip??
Old 06-08-2014, 05:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Just keep applying and don't despair. Showing up in person can sometimes work, even after they turn you down. It shows you are determined.

Another thing also could be your resume, you might need to tweak it a bit. 3 pages max. And always provide a cover letter explaining the experience you have for each qualification points with concrete examples. Make sure you don't get screened out.

Bending the truth is also allowed you know. ;-)

Don't give up!
Old 06-08-2014, 05:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Don't give up! Keep trying. Eventually you'll get a job. It just takes a while sometimes.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's hard to find work for anyone in this economic climate wishinghope.
Wishing you an upswing of fortune

D
Old 06-08-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It happens to the best of us. I was in your position once. It may take a while to find a good fit job, but then you can look back at all the employers that passed you up and laugh.

Those online profiles do take some time, but it does mean that applying in the future will be easier since your employment and academic history are all filled out.

It took me 29 interviews over 25 months to finally land a suitable job. All the other interviews were tax deductible though.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Wishinghope,

If you had day jobs during your stripping times, I agree they might not need to know about the stripping. Are you trying to find a job in a very different industry now? Maybe try something a little closer that you feel comfortable with and perceive progressive and get back to school?

One of my good friends was a stripper in her early 20's by night, while also being an artist and musician. She then went to school to learn media production, and with that skill, got a research assistant job in a child psychology lab where one of her main duties were using her knowledge in how to make/edit videos for the projects of the lab. Then she wanted more, and went back to college to earn a psychology B.Sc. degree. She was looking for opportunities to do a PhD then in a very specialized area that was probably a little over-ambitious, did not find a place, then gave up and got into fitness, working in yoga studios as a trainer. Then again back to school to earn a nursing degree. She works as a RN now and still also does art work. Pretty cool and daring career route in my opinion.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wishing how do they know you are a stripper, don't put it on you resume..... I'm not a religious person, but I am spiritual....someone once say to me, when God closes the door, he somehow always open a window.... Find that window....... Don't give up, it will be better...
Old 06-08-2014, 05:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

I agree, write an experience resume

all of the skills you have

You CAN find a job!!

Love and hugs to you
Old 06-08-2014, 05:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Think of it this way.

They received your application
They read your qualifications
They rejected

But you were acknowledge. Rejected or not, you got a response. Some people don't even get that I'd be proud of myself for trying.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have to put it on there I stripped for four years with no other jobs or schooling. I just partied for four years. I am done with it though four years burnt me out and I want a stable environment because if I went back chances are I'd go back to my addictions its just not healthy. I am so happy with all the endless support though. I appreciate it so much. And I am glad I was acknowledged it just sucks I have no job. But I am gonna keep trying and I also hope to hear Monday from Ohio employment support for ex addicts and people with mental illness. So hopefully I can get a job through them. If I don't hear back I will try calling someone there or maybe going to a facility for this type of help. So I luckily have resources and I am resourceful. Thank you all again for your support. And sorry I just had to vent. But yes I don't think I have any other choice but to put it on my resume considering I hadn't done anything else in four years and dont have children.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd be inclined to wax a little lyrical with your resume.

No lies - but unless you're going for a stripping job 'Professional dancer/hostess' sounds a lot better than stripper?

D
Old 06-08-2014, 06:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm with Dee; although, maybe you've already described your dancing career in creative ways. Would you be willing to take a part-time job to build up a work history for your resume? Also, would you consider going with a temp agency for a while? The place where I worked in the 90's hired a number people full-time through the temp agency after they worked with us for awhile.

Whatever you do, keep at it.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Of course I don't put stripper on there I put entertainer. Perhaps I should try professional dancer.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

And I am not picky at this time any money is better than no money and I tried temp services with miserable failure. No call backs no interviews I mean it was awful. But yes I attempted to use creative ways to describe my job it is still the same thing though and people will still see it the same.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I didn't mean you'd put stripper, wishinghope. I had no idea what you'd put
I think entertainer is fine, but if the job also involved other things like serving meals or whatever I'd emphasise that part

(pick the mod who's never been to a strip club )

D
Old 06-08-2014, 06:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Lol yeah no all it was dancing on stage and pushing dances. We also got paid to drink but couldn't push those because it is considered solicitation. But yes paid alcoholics essentially. And I put entertaining customers and keeping them company and training new girls which I think shows I took initiative to help others improve. I do enjoy that.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's lots of good advice here.

I know how demoralizing a job search can be, but don't give up.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:13 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

So, you were working somewhere that alcohol was being sold, can't you call yourself a waitress or a server? Technically it isn't a lie.

When I was a waitress I also considered myself a professional salesperson, a therapist, a gymnast, a nutritionist, a diplomat, an accountant, a cashier, and since I also did training I was a teacher, since I wrote schedules and supervised the shift, I was a manager. Creatively marketing myself was tricky.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:36 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for the support. I am going to keep trying I have to. The hardest part of a job is looking for one. And I wasn't serving it and I worked there before I was 21. So that may create a conflict. I will keep thinking of creative ways to market myself though I really didn't think of changing what I had put. But I guess I should. Entertainer still sounds like a stripper. Hmm... Let the creative juices flow.