Notices

Day 6-Angry Guy!

Old 06-07-2014, 06:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 6-Angry Guy!

Day 6
Very irritable, angry, anxious, all day. This after feeling pretty good the last two days. I had a terrible nightmare last night, very violent, very vivid, very real. That was the second one this week, with little sleep anyway.
I’m fighting the AV, but my outlook, and emotional state have been on edge all day. I worked hard physically, helped a couple people out, trying to combat it, and I look forward to tomorrow, but not if it is a repeat of today!
Only day 6, I understand, but when will the emotional roller coaster, and those vivid nightmares go away? I am not tempted to take a drink, but my own reality is scary. I am the epitome of a “dry drunk” today. Help!
Old 06-07-2014, 06:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi BlueSkies

Try and remember - you drank for years - its going to take a little while for things to settle down.

Exercise was really good for me with the anger...and the dreams got less and less over a couple of weeks.

Early recovery is rough, but you are definitely heading in the right direction

D
Old 06-07-2014, 06:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sigh...I understand. I don't have any answers..
I just get what you're saying..
But it sounds like you're lacking sleep?
Hard to be lovely when we are tired and grumpy...
Have a bubble bath..put on some comfy pj's and watch some overwrought romantic tale and bawl your eyes out. Eat chocolate.
As someone once said when I was having a lousy day..
"Pull the boat right out...be whiny, miserable, pathetic".
It's allowed sometimes you know.

Ooops..just noticed you're a guy.

Um..put on boxer's and watch Fight Club...eat doritos?

Last edited by Nuudawn; 06-07-2014 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Wrong gender for advice
Old 06-07-2014, 07:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am going thru the nightmares too.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I get angry a lot still but realize drinking isn't going to solve the problem. So it stinks but I cope with it. Walking around and keeping busy help. Thinking about why I'm angry helps because maybe I can do something about it. A lot of mine stems from lack of having control over certain situations. Yours may be something else.

Hing in there.

My husband takes nice soaking baths and eats chocolate when he needs to unwind so it isn't just a girl thing. But he watches lord of the rings instead of weepy romances. Guess you could call it a bromance.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank You,
I did try and keep very busy today, worked in the sun, gardened, and helped a couple friends out trimming hedges. The overall anxiety and short fuse irritability stayed most of the day. I stopped myself several times and thought just how grateful i was to be sober, have the day free, and incredible weather to enjoy the day. That did help, but the overall ire remained almost all day. I am tired, hopefully I will get a restful nights sleep without any nasty nightmares. The one I had last night was so vivid, I thought about it all day, wandering if it were a premonition? The situatiion was very detailed and could happen.
Anyway, looking forward to Day 7.
Thank You all!
Old 06-07-2014, 08:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Maybe you were too busy. I know everyone says to stay busy to curb urges and seems counterintuitive but When I overload with activities and get worn out I get frazzled and extremely short tempered. I guess for me it is finding the nebulous line between too much of a good thing and not enough.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I remember the vivid dreams. They will pass. Drink as much water as possible and invest in some herbal teas to calm that anger. Keep going! It gets better.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Day 7 !
What a difference a day makes, or at least a good nights sleep. I need to remember being Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired (HALT) are all triggers. I have the good nutrition thing down, but have not been sleeping more than 2 hours a night, if that, and it has been very disturbed. I woke up better rested on Day 7, and my first thought was being thankful, so very thankful that I am sober. No nightmares! Then I realized that so much that I am angry about, is out of my control. (Serenity Prayer).
My plan for today is to visit my dying father this morning, spend time with him and family, and then I have a lot of work to do, which should engage me all day. Good food in the house, and my craving for alcohol is much diminished. I am keeping my eye on the prize, and each day gets better. Thank You all for your support.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That's amazing well done I hope I get to that point to I could do with some peace
Old 06-08-2014, 07:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Um..put on boxer's and watch Fight Club...eat doritos?

Yikes! That sounds nasty! LOL!