Notices

First AA Meeting Experience

Old 06-07-2014, 12:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First AA Meeting Experience

Hey guys! I went to my first AA meeting today. I just wanted to share my experience because I had a lot of questions and trepidation going into it... on top of all the other emotions that I'm actually "feeling" right now on day 4 of sobriety.

Went to my particular state's AA website to find the schedule and found a TON of meeting locations and times as well as codes and meeting names. I was a little confused and so I just called the number that is staffed 24 hours a day and spoke to a lovely gal. She helped me out and even explained the format. She pointed me to a meeting that would allow for my sister to attend with me in support and she had attended that particular location herself and thought it was perfect for my first time.

Then we got to the meeting.......... oh boy.

I started crying in the parking lot and didn't stop until I walked out an hour later. It was nerves and the fact that I was really following through with admitting that I am truly powerless over this beast.

The meeting had a group leader that explained what was going to happen during the meeting, announcements for other AA activities for the month and introduced 2 different speakers who were to read from "the big book". The readings were - eh. Only because they are new to me and it was a lot to hear and take in as a newbie. Then they asked if there was anyone new to AA. I introduced myself through a sea of tears. I followed suite and said my name is ____ and I believe that I am an alcoholic. Then they passed out chips for sobriety tenure. I got a 24 hour chip. Totally cool. There was someone who also got a 24 hour chip as they had relapsed and everyone cheered that that person was back. From there it was a ton of sharing. Every story resonated with me. I found myself shaking my head because I could relate over and over with the stories weather it came from someone with 1 year or 28 years of sobriety. I cried so much and so hard and nobody judged. It was like I had found a room full of me's. I did not speak and there was absolutely no pressure to share. I don't think I could even form words at that point anyways. But it was all good - I was happy to listen and just take it all in.

At the end they presented me with a free book.. totally took me off guard and about 7 people came up to me and hugged me and gave me a list with their names and numbers. Each and every one of them said "welcome home". I was in awe of the sheer comfort that I felt. It's unlike anything I've ever experienced.

If you have any fear at all about attending your first meeting, please please take my word for it as it is so unbelievably worth it. I thought it would be all about God and religion and boy was I wrong. Not to offend anybody's beliefs but I didn't want to hear if you find God, you'll find sobriety. It was all about whatever you feel and believe in and the members were split and it was obvious in the content of their sharing and it was all completely okay and safe. That was a run on sentence but I can't explain how cool it was.

I realize this is Alcoholics Anonymous and so I hope I haven't broken any code by sharing what I have. I just had so much doubt and anxiety and have read that others feel the same. It is so worth it and I actually can't wait for tomorrow's meeting.

Thanks again for all your support and congrats to all us newbies for keeping on. I wish your first experience to be as amazing as mine.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad it was a positive experience sunnybaz

D
Old 06-07-2014, 02:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done for going, and overcoming your fear.
Facing fear has been my toughest but most rewarding experience in recovery.
Not alone though.....
G
Old 06-07-2014, 02:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great summary of an AA meeting I also cried non stop at my first meeting, I could not even introduce myself because I could not keep the tear back! Like you said, at that first meeting I was deeply humbled at realizing I was powerless over alcohol.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing sunnybaz - I have yet to find the courage to attend a meeting and I was grateful to read your experience.
I live in a small town and I'm having some trouble with that....
Old 06-07-2014, 05:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing. Your post made me burst out crying!

Originally Posted by sunnybaz View Post
I started crying in the parking lot...
Been there!

It was like I had found a room full of me's.
Here too.

Each and every one of them said "welcome home".
I feel like I am home every single time I walk into an AA meeting!

I am so happy for you! Keep coming back!
Old 06-07-2014, 05:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi and thank you for sharing. There is a lot to learn about ourselves. BUT. It gets better and better and better and better each day if we let it.
BE WELL
Old 06-07-2014, 06:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

After my first meeting at which I admitted I was an alcoholic I went out and got drunk. I just couldn't handle AA meetings. Talks of suicide, depression, misery. Yes some hopeful talk, but it didn't get through that day. I entered a treatment facility and got a larger perspective of my disease and what it does to people. I can now attend an AA meeting without panic and thinking what use is it. I still don't like negative long winded drunkalogues with no real purpose. I know others who say it helps them in recovery to know that others were in misery too and recovered from it.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i am so glad you found something at your first meeting and you point out exactly why aa shouldnt be all about god etc
you couldnt understand the big book and thats normal but people tend to think the big book is all its about
i often say it might have all the answers but it sure doesn't help a new comer who is new to the fellowship
same the god talk goes right over people heads when there new
the drunk a log or personal stories is the only thing a new comer will fully understand its the only tool i have to offer a new comer so that they can get identification

after all i am sober now and living a new life so its not about me and what i want in an aa room when a new comer is in its all about them and giving help to them

without a drunk a log i wouldn't be here its as simple as that.
without people going out of there way to help me i wouldnt be here and the good news is those same people who helped me are still around today

and its great to hear a new comer has got a lovely response in aa all around the world this is happening it really is a true fellowship of men and women who help
i hope you keep coming back one day at a time it will get better, there is a whole new life to be had without booze

there is much to learn but its ok we take things easy and in baby steps as its not a race
good luck to you