Notices

I failed again...

Old 06-06-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I failed again...

Got wasted this weekend, one of those standard "I'll never drink again" hangovers on Monday. Worked out and ate right through Wednesday then what do i do? 2 shots of vodka and a beer. Of course that's better than my normal 6 shots, 4 beers and a half bottle of wine (or entire bottle depending on the day) but I still feel like I failed. Wanted June to be my clean month, get back in shape month and I couldn't even make it 5 days.

I'm trying not to beat myself up too much over it. I had zero hangover in the morning and still worked out and ate right today. So I slipped up, i'm not the first or last one to mess up. Just gotta keep pushing forward and don't give up!

I could use some words of encouragement
Old 06-06-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Fall down seven times, get up eight. You can do this, Inky! Don't give up. Make the rest of June your clean month.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Inky I'm sorry you disappointed yourself - but we've all been there.

The main thing is you came back to tell what happened and begin again. I don't think you can call it a failure - it's a process, and you're still learning.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks, and that's a good point Hevyn. I've tried for the past couple years and have made it 2-3 months before but I always came back. I don't think I was really ready to quit before but now I am.

I've always loved the "Fall down seven times, get up eight" saying. I can definitely relate to it!
Old 06-06-2014, 04:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

As long as your learned something from it, it's not a failure.

Just get back on the horse, you can kick this to the curb!
Old 06-06-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
instant

It's the stories we tell ourselves in the lead up to using
Old 06-06-2014, 04:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, don't allow your disappointment in yourself to push you back to drinking. Try to figure out what you can do differently this time. The main thing is that you're here and you're working on it.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcoem back Inky
What have you been doing for your recovery exactly?

D
Old 06-06-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I think you would really relate to Ken's (Weasel1966) story. Check it out
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...u-anybody.html
Ken facilitates a week end support group for people who were "week end warriors" I d suggest that you join in for a clean and sober week end. You ll get a lot of support
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...6-5-6-8-a.html
Old 06-06-2014, 04:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Lost a battle,but, win the war.
Keep at it my friend.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The most important thing is that tonight you chose to post here and talk about what you're going through rather than just drink again because you "already messed up so why not?". I've used that as a reason to keep drinking/using lots of times after a slip up. The only way to fail is to give up and stop trying and you haven't done that, so I commend you for that.

You can still have a great June, it's only just begun
Old 06-06-2014, 05:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Resolute50: I like that Loose the battle, win the war
Old 06-07-2014, 01:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the words. Means a lot that you took time out to reply.

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
I think you would really relate to Ken's (Weasel1966) story. Check it out

Ken facilitates a week end support group for people who were "week end warriors" I d suggest that you join in for a clean and sober week end. You ll get a lot of support
I could definitely relate to Weasel1966's story, although I wouldnt consider myself a weekender. I drink just as heavy during the week as I would on a Saturday. The reason why this past weekend was heavier than usual was 2 things (Really 4, but 2 on the weekend..or 3...or...just read it and you will understand =P).

1) Saturday started at lunch with a few close friends, friends of which haven't gotten together in years. This was at a local brewhouse (Because where else would it be?) After lunch (and multiple loose canons on draft, 16oz 7.25 abv beer) I left and headed to another friends house who had a huge cookout/fire for his girlfriends 30th B day on Saturday. Multiple shots, drinks, standard party behavior commenced into the night.

2) Sunday was a benefit for a good friend of mine who was diagnosed with a terminal brain tumor. He is a firefighter and the department helped with the benefit, which was a Whiskey Tasting. All you can drink whiskey (Which I love) and all friends who drink heavily. To top it off, it was also my 31st b-day so why not bang multiple shots at the bar. The free whiskey isn't enough right? Nope, let's go get some more Irish at the bar. Brutal.

The Thursday and Friday before this was also a disaster. I teach guitar and play in a local cover band plus do originals and alcohol is almost always involved (although I rarely get wasted during a show, it's usually towards the end or after). One of my students had some beers (I did a few shots before showing up) and ended up putting who knows how many back. Felt terrible the next day so I worked from home on Friday and drank that evening too. I woke up and felt terrible but had to get to the lunch. See #1 above

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcoem back Inky
What have you been doing for your recovery exactly?

D
I have been seeing a therapist for a few months now. I've had terrible anxiety/OCD/Panic attacks my entire life and when I hit 30 it spiraled out of control so I seeked him out. He also deals with substance abuse and is working with me on that. He does think I should find a program though so that's probably my next step if I cant beat this now.

Anyway, thanks again for everyone who took the time to read this and reply.