Notices

Have today decided to get well

Old 06-06-2014, 06:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Have today decided to get well

Hi, I have just this moment joined this forum. I have not started recovery from alcohol yet although if I get through today without a drink it will be day one of my recovery. I cant really remember when my drinking got out of hand, but I would imagine that I have drank at least 4 times a week, for ten years, but for the past four years that as crept up until I would say, I have been drinking really heavily for the past two years, and this year literally every single night, (the odd week with one night off) probably due to feeling so hungover. I hold down my job but go to work feeling crap and have memory block outs. I have been drinking between 1 to 2 bottles of wine per night, or half a bottle or Bacardi, sometimes wine and Bacardi. I have found it hard to admit I have a problem, but I am hurting myself and those that love me and am determined to quit. I have not spoke to my doctor for fear of being labelled on my medical record which would maybe stop me from getting certain employment in the future, and am a little scared that I could be ill by quitting suddenly with no medication. Any advise please would be most greatful. x
Old 06-06-2014, 07:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome titch. I was in exactly the same situation as you, many of us were. You are making a great decision. Regarding seeing a doctor, your medical records are private so I personally feel our health is more important than some potential repercussion ( and a very slight one at that ) long term. Withdrawal can be dangerous so if you have fears I"d definitely go and see your doctor. I did and I'm very glad that I did.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

Yes, detoxing from alcohol can be unpredictable and dangerous and it's always a good idea to talk to your dr first.

I'm really glad that you have decided to join us and live a sober life.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you both for your replies. Bought tears to my eyes (how soppy). Yes its so true why should I worry about a medical record when my life and staying alive for my lovely family is so much more. I cannot get a doctors appointment until Thursday though, and am worried about this.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by titch View Post
Thank you both for your replies. Bought tears to my eyes (how soppy). Yes its so true why should I worry about a medical record when my life and staying alive for my lovely family is so much more. I cannot get a doctors appointment until Thursday though, and am worried about this.
You can try calling your doctor and explaining exactly why you want to see them and he/she might be able to see you sooner. Or you can go to urgent care/ER if you feel you need it, there is no shame in that and people do it all the time. You will be relieved to learn that doctors see this king of thing all the time, and they will applaud your decision to quit.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Hi, Scott and Anna are absolutely correct, your medical records are a distant second to your general well being, and your doctor will be very happy you have came to this decision to quit.

Well done.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Would it be ok to start my recovery today, as today I feel stronger and more determined than ever. And if I have any problems then I can attend emergency dept at hospital, or would it be really silly to not get medication first. I did quit for 3 whole months 3 years ago without any problem but I will be honest my drinking intake was not at all as bad as this past year. Just scared at moment, as have heard of people quitting with no help having such things as a stroke and I am petrified. Sorry to keep on with the same question and appreciate no one can know exactly how I will cope. x
Old 06-06-2014, 07:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Hi titch, welcome to SR
Old 06-06-2014, 08:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey titch. Welcome to SR.

Sounds like the sooner you can see a doctor the better. It might relieve some of your anxiety. Definitely use the ER if you feel the need. Doctors are bound to confidentiality too remember.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Why don't you just try not drinking for a day and see how it goes? You said you were able to go a day occasionally (due to excessive hangover). Did you have withdrawal symptoms then?
Old 06-06-2014, 09:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Today is always a good day to quit but if you start feeling seriously ill get to the ER asap! Detox is always better with medical involvement
Old 06-06-2014, 09:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to the family Titch! We are so glad you are here with us.

I drank every day for many years - when I found SR I was barely holding on. My friends here helped me find the courage to change my life, and I never looked back. You are going to do this Titch.